cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading firmware of Cisco C6807-XL switch

sanjee108
Level 1
Level 1

How to upgrade the firmware of Cisco C6807-XL switch? I have downloaded the new version "s2t54-ipservicesk9_npe-mz.SPA.155-1.SY1.bin" to tftp server. Is it the normal process as "copy tftp: bootdisk:"? Any special concerns I need to take before upgrading firmware? 

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Troy Jackson
Level 1
Level 1

I just upgraded to 15.5.1 and it has a bug for the ASA services module. So I just downgraded to 15.1.2-SY12 it seems ok. As for the process, it's the same as adding to bootdisk and changing the bootvar with the boot system command. But the methods for the upgrade depends on if you have VSS running or a single chassis with redundancy supervisors and if you want to do a hitless upgrade like ISSU or do a failover like the Fast Software Upgrade. I'll put the links for the methods below:

(VSS)

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/15-1SY/config_guide/sup2T/15_1_sy_swcg_2T/virtual_switching_systems.html#56355

(Single Chassis)

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-6500-series-switches/71585-cat6k-red-supeng-swimg-upg.html

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the star below.
-Troy J.

View solution in original post

The safest way is to force the standby to boot into ROMmon and then force the supervisor card to boot the correct IOS from a USB thumb drive.

@Troy Jackson wrote:

I thought about using the USB port too. But the install guide says for the 2T/720 that it's not operational. Most of the upgrades I do now are remote so I haven't tried it. Have you done this via the USB drive before?  

1.  Cisco doesn't "openly" support USB boot.  (Don't ask why, you won't like the answer.)

2.  I have used USB boot on a 6840 without an issue.  6840 is powered by a Sup2T inside.  

9 Replies 9

Troy Jackson
Level 1
Level 1

I just upgraded to 15.5.1 and it has a bug for the ASA services module. So I just downgraded to 15.1.2-SY12 it seems ok. As for the process, it's the same as adding to bootdisk and changing the bootvar with the boot system command. But the methods for the upgrade depends on if you have VSS running or a single chassis with redundancy supervisors and if you want to do a hitless upgrade like ISSU or do a failover like the Fast Software Upgrade. I'll put the links for the methods below:

(VSS)

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/15-1SY/config_guide/sup2T/15_1_sy_swcg_2T/virtual_switching_systems.html#56355

(Single Chassis)

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-6500-series-switches/71585-cat6k-red-supeng-swimg-upg.html

-Troy J.

Hi

It has VSS system set up and now primary switch got firmware upgraded but standby is not. I think copying the firmware to standby switch is some how failed and caused this issue. How can I upgrade the firmware of standby switch now while primary is in operation. Standby switch is now turned off. If I can disconnect interconnecting cables between primary and standby (disable VSS) and reboot the standby as single switch, Will it get any IP address to copy the firmware to it?

Hi sanjee108, 

You can disable VSS but your config will be the same as the primary. So once you make the changes to disable VSS. Then you can add an IP address to the management port and connect a PC with a TFTP server and load up the software. Remeber to look at the bootvar after saving and then reload. After you can set up the VSS again and join the switches. 

-Troy J.

The safest way is to force the standby to boot into ROMmon and then force the supervisor card to boot the correct IOS from a USB thumb drive.

I thought about using the USB port too. But the install guide says for the 2T/720 that it's not operational. Most of the upgrades I do now are remote so I haven't tried it. Have you done this via the USB drive before? 

-Troy J.

@Troy Jackson wrote:

1.  Cisco doesn't "openly" support USB boot.  (Don't ask why, you won't like the answer.)

2.  I have used USB boot on a 6840 without an issue.  6840 is powered by a Sup2T inside.  

Thanks Guys. 

I did update the standby switch firmware via USB drive without disabling VSS set up. I did format the USB drive with FAT file system before copying the firmware to it. Then plugged the USB to the standby switch and boot it from USB at rommon mode. All good now.

Awesome! This will save me a lot of time. Thanks for responding Leo. 

-Troy J.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
1. IMPORTANT: Read the Release Notes;
2. Copy the file into the bootflash:;
3. Verify the MD5 hash value matches the MD5 hash value found in the Cisco website;
4. Confirm the config-registry is 0x2102 (and not 0x2101);
5. Change the boot variable string;
6. Save the config;
7. Did you read the Release Notes?
8. Reboot.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card