Views
Helpful
Replies

vtp issue

mrSS
Level 1
Level 1

howdy...

got this crazy issue with vtp last week...so we have a few stacked 3750 switches with vtp transparent configured...some idiot plugged in a fiber from another network into our stacked switches...that network/switch has vtp server configured...once that switch connected to our stack of switches, it turned that stack switch into vtp server...causing the previous vlans configured to erase thus causing management issues with the stacked switches...

anybody seen this issue before?

thanks in advance...

4 Replies 4

Vivek Ganapathi
Level 4
Level 4

Even though the stacked switches were in transparent mode they were updated with a higher revision? This shouldn't be the case. You sure they were in transparent? I believe they could have been in VTP client mode !

Could you please post me the configs?

Thanks

Vivek

im pretty positive the vtp mode was transparent, but i could be wrong...it actually changed the vtp mode to server...very strange...i removed the configuration already...i dont have any to post...

thanks again for your reply...just wanted to see if anybody ran into this issue...

Yes totally strange. Conceptually should not happen.

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Should not happen if they were  transparent .  Even if it was a server unless they both had the same vtp domain name it should not have changed anything.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card