Views
Helpful
Replies

VTPv3 domain - Activate Primary Server

andreas.fuchs
Level 1
Level 1

Hey guys,
we have one customer with an active VTPv3 domain...
Two C4500x cores as "primary" and some access switches as "clients".
I need to add a new vlan and receive: 
Root(config)#vlan 21
VTP VLAN configuration not allowed when device is not the primary server for vlan database.
Now I want to activate: 
Root#vtp primary vlan ?
force Do not check for conflicting devices
<cr>
Can I activate this command without a network interrupt or is a downtime needed?
Thanks
Rgds

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello
If you are on the vtp primary then you don’t need to do anything you can create the vlan however it looks like you are not on the vtp primary from your OP.

show vtp status - this should tell if the switch you are on is the vtp primary.
In any case, it will not disrupt traffic is you change from one vtp primary to another, you just should receive a syslog stating the change has been made, but dont force it let the switch check for other vtp primary servers. 

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

When ever you adding any VLAN we expect to add this VLAN in  VTP Server  ( the vlan adding is VTP Server ?)

check some explantion on this thread :

https://community.cisco.com/t5/switching/vtp-v3-primary/td-p/1829997

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi BB,
yes I'm on the VTP Server and I just need to know if I need to do it in a maintenance window in case the command "vtp primary vlan" will force network interrupts??
My tasks would be:
1. Make the "vtp server" to primary vtp server -> "vtp primary vlan"
2. Add the new vlan to the primary vtp server
3. Done
Can I configure point 1 on the fly or is it better to do it out of office hours???
What you recommend?
Thanks

If you are elected one of the device act as primary VTP primary server, then only that Device can do all modification, if that is intention.

You can perform the task, as always suggested any VTP config change, better do in maintenance window.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello
If you are on the vtp primary then you don’t need to do anything you can create the vlan however it looks like you are not on the vtp primary from your OP.

show vtp status - this should tell if the switch you are on is the vtp primary.
In any case, it will not disrupt traffic is you change from one vtp primary to another, you just should receive a syslog stating the change has been made, but dont force it let the switch check for other vtp primary servers. 

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Thank you Paul thats the info I needed...Appreciated

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card