Views
Helpful
Replies

ce9 Administrative settings on the touch 10/remote

Bobby McGonigle
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I've been messing around in the ce9 environment to see if it's set to send out to our users across campus and I notice something odd in the settings. It seems aa though there is no more administrative lockout when accessing the CODEC in the touch panel or while using the remote and this will give our users the potential to factory reset the system their using. I can't see any way in the web server to enable this feature that was always present in ce8 and others.

Does anyone here or in cisco know if this will be addressed in ce9? Or is there something I'm overlooking in the configuration that will allow me to block users from accessing this information?

Below is a reference image taken from an SX10 CODEC running ce9.1.2. But this issue is also present on the SX20, SX80, MX200-800, and SparkRoom Kits i have here in my office.

Bobby McGonigle
(He, Him, His, Himself)
Video Services Engineer, EU Svcs Communication & Collaboration Services
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The UI was updated in CE9 and the ability for a subset of settings to be password protected isn't available in the initial release, but is slated to come later and is documented in CE9 Release Notes.

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The UI was updated in CE9 and the ability for a subset of settings to be password protected isn't available in the initial release, but is slated to come later and is documented in CE9 Release Notes.

I have this issue too. Seems crazy. I've upgraded to ce9.1.2 but the issue is still there. This bug pretty much means we can't roll out any Spark Room Kits, as we cant have this level of vulnerability on our systems.

Anyone else facing this problem?

If you're looking for a Touch 10 feature from CE8 that is slated for a later CE9 release, it will be mentioned in the release notes whenever it's implemented.  At this time, none of the Touch 10 features slated for future release have been completed.  It's not a bug, but simply just not enough time to implement all features that they wanted to by the time of release.

The fact that users can access the network settings is 100% a bug. How can Cisco expect us to roll out Spark room kits with touch 10 interfaces on ce9, when users can physically change the IP address of the units...?

I found the "new feature" when a customer factory reset their codec and called to say it wasn't working.  I thought I'd be able to use a provisioning template in TMS to disable this option, but no such luck.  You can turn it off on a per codec basis through the web gui under Setup, configuration, userInterface, SettingsMenu Mode.  By default it is set to "unlocked".  

riddlemoser
Level 1
Level 1

This is still a bug in CE 9.3.2. How long until this is fixed?

Setup -> Configuration -> User Interface -> Settings Menu Mode -> Locked solved the issue for me.

this has been resolved since CE9.2. Go into configuration, user interface, and you'll see an option "SettingsMenu Mode" - it's unlocked by default. Change it to locked, save, and you should be all set. 

Even in CE9.2 there was a bug that stopped the lock working 100% (ie the setting didn't survive a reboot).  This has been resolved in the CE9.4.0 code.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Is there a way to do this to each endpoint without having to go into EACH endpoint?  I have a lot, it'd be tedious to do each one, granular.

If you have a lot of endpoints, then I would assume you have something like TMS to manage them all - you could push this setting to all of your endpoints via a TMS Template.

If not you could write a script to ssh in to each unit and issue the CLI command to it, then disconnect and repeat until they're all done.

The command is:

xConfiguration UserInterface SettingsMenu Mode: Locked
Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

This issue is not resolved in the latest code of CE 9.6.2. After locking it up from the web gui and restart of the codec, the factory reset is unlocked. I believe this is definitely a bug. 

This feature is not working at all with any CE9.X.X version. I have tried multiple firmware versions with no luck. Cisco TAC recommended to utilize Startup Scripts still not helping. We have about 400 endpoints. I wasted my time on enabling on all of them. But it won't stay ON even though you write on startup scripts. Not sure why Cisco introduce these kind of features that does not work. Please let me know if anyone had it working.    

Hi Mohammed, 

I believe I've found the solution. Install the latest device pack in publisher/subscriber and restarting UCM is not necessary if you have version 10.5.x and above. Once you installed the device pack, a new feature called "Settings Menu Mode" appears in the codec profile towards the bottom so scroll down. By default it's unlocked so change to locked and this should push to the codec.

Test it out, good luck. 
https://software.cisco.com/download/home/285963825/type/282074299/release/10.5(2.21167),