Views
Helpful
Replies

Expressway LIC-EXP-RMS Rich Media Session license requirements

CHAD MARSH
Level 1
Level 1

I can't seem to find the answer documented anywhere on this. The docs state:

Each concurrent call session terminating on a system not using Cisco Unified Communications Manager, Business Edition or Cisco HCS (for example, B2B calls and Jabber Guest) requires a Cisco Expressway Rich Media Session license. Also, each concurrent call requiring interworking also requires a Cisco Expressway Rich Media Session license. Examples of such calls include H.323-to-SIP interworked calls or H.264 SVC-to-H.264 AVC calls.

So assuming I have an EX90 registered to my CUCM, and I want to place a call that terminates at some external companies video endpoint across the internet, by way of my Expressway Core and Expressway Edge pair, do I need the LIC-EXP-RMS just on the Expressway E, or do I need the license on both boxes?

If it's the latter, do you have to pay for 2 sessions to get 1 call like described, or can the same license be applied to both boxes (although it can only be registered/bound to one serial number) ?

Just the answer would be great, link(s) to supporting documentation would be even better.

Thanks,

Chad Marsh 

22 Replies 22

George Thomas
Level 10
Level 10

The RMS licenses are installed on your Expressway C. In your case, since the video endpoint that you are calling doesnt register back to your CUCM, you will need 1 RMS session license. 

If the endpoint that you were calling registers back to CUCM using the Expressways, then no RMS license is required. 

Please rate useful posts.

I don't follow why it would use the RMS license on the C and not the E.

If the call I described were in the reverse direction, (from public external endpoint to CUCM-registered endpoint) would the RMS license then be needed on the Expressway-E?

A co-worker forwarded me a preso from Cisco TME tneumann that states the following, which doesn't really agree with your answer:

<quote>

• Rich Media Session licenses are consumed for either traversal or non-traversal call types
  • A traversal call will require a Rich Media Sessions license on both the Expressway E and Expressway C

</quote>

There must be some call flow scenarios published somewhere in Cisco that documents this license usage?

I apologize, i misspoke. yes you will need RMS license on both C/E. So for a single call, you will need 2 RMS licenses.

one question add to this.

I have 5 room devices, do I need a RMS license for each if they all are making a B2B call?

so 5 SX10 (room),  will 5 RMA for expressway  c and 5 for expressway E

is this correct???

thanks all

RMS licenses are concurrent so if all 5 rooms needs to call out at once, then yes. So 5 on Expc + 5 on Expe = 10 RMS licenses.

OK.. thanks for the quick response.  

do love this form.........

sorry thats forum...

excuse me to add a question here, cause i got confused after reading the thread.

if i deploy Expressway C & E for external jabber clients and jabber guest. which of the below scenarios will consume RMS licenses, and how many for each concurrent call?

1) external jabber client registration.

1) call between corp external jabber client and internal jabber.

2) call between corp external jabber client and jabber guest.

3) call between corp internal jabber client and jabber guest.

Any call that traverses the Expressway-Core/Edger servers will consume an RMS license.  Registrations do not.

Hello Patrick, do you now if there is a possibility to transfer existing LIC-VCSE-5 from VCS Expressway virtual Edition into LIC-EXP-RMS Rich Media Session license?

Two registered Jabber (one inside and other outside) do not require RMS.

Is this documented somewhere in the official Cisco documentation?

Hi Chad,

Is the RMS license an individual license or a bundle of licenses? Is there any snapped screen from demo?

I found that the RMS license is the traversal call license combined with a Expressway Series license.