Views
Helpful
Replies

Understanding the MCU 53xx port licensing

fasdr1987
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

I have some problem understanding how the 53xx MCU port licenses are applied.

Can anyone correct me that the LIC-5300-4PL allows us to use 1 - 1080p port but we cannot mix the ports (1080p with nxSD on same MCU)?

For example I need to be able to provide a conference for 4 1080p endpoints and 10 additional SD endpoints.

Do i need a LIC-5300-4PL qty 7 or I need 14 of them (and 2 MCUs)?

6 Replies 6

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You are correct, you cannot mix the port modes (ie: Full HD with nxSD), you can only run the MCU in one mode at a time.

Whatever the mode you have running on the MCU, you'll be presented with the number of avaliable media ports in that mode, the total amount of endpoints that can connect.  So if you're running in Full HD, and connect a combination of either 1080p or SD endpoints, each endpoint will use an avaliable media port wheither or not it can fully use that port to it's full advantage.

So decide on whatever media port mode you'd like to run at, and look at how many endpoints you want to have connected at one time for capacity.

Here is a slide show of the media port modes and capacity for each mode, slide 6.

http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le21/le39/docs/twtv161_prezo.pdf

Ok. Now it is clear to me.

But if the cusmomer wants to do a large conference with mixed participants (like the example i've provided) the price of 2x5320 mcu is well beyond the telepresence server with conductor.

If i buy 2xmcu with 12 full hd ports - would it be better to buy a ts 7010 appliance with conductor - it would allow me to do a mixed conferences. Am i correct?

Conductor + TPS will allow for dynamic port allocation (or whatever it is referred to), yes.  However, if you use TMS for scheduling, I believe TMS can't currently schedule with the TPS using the dynamic port allocation at this time.

Ok. Seems to me the TPS+Conductor suits better to me.

Can anyone provide me with some actual numbers of ports I can get with fully licensed 7010 (12 ports) with Conductor.

Basically I need to be able to do 2 conferences at the same time:

one with min of 8 participants 4 of them are FullHD

second with min of 4 FullHD participants

What you are referring to is screen licenses allocation. Please note that there are 2 things in Telepresence Server

1. Ports

2. Screen licenses

Screen licenseing model is used here because it supports immerservise multiscreen endpoints. Using Conductor with TPS will only allow the flexible allocation of screen licenses. But the port allocation will remain same.

For more information, please follow the link and refer table number 6

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/ps7060/ps11305/ps11317/ps11339/data_sheet_c78-626138.html

-Sagar