Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco CUBE vs MS SBC

mightyking
Level 6
Level 6

Hello Experts,

We are planning to migrate all our PRIs with SIP trunks. We are also planning to integrate CUCM with MS Teams (Direct Routing). We are going to use Virtual SBCs. We are going to have one SBC in date center1 and the second in the date center2. Can we use the same SBC for both migrations? Is it recommended? If so, could you please share the specifications of the vSBC in terms of capacities?

Thanks,

MK

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The main limitation of a virtual CUBE is the lack of DSPs for audio transcoding and/or transrating. So long as everything in your environment supports the same codec(s) and packetizarion period I would expect a vCUBE to be fine.

Cisco Unified Border Element Configuration Guide - Chapter: Supported Platforms 

View solution in original post

The supported platforms chapter I link to previously states that the Cat8kv runs on VMware vSphere on-prem.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The main limitation of a virtual CUBE is the lack of DSPs for audio transcoding and/or transrating. So long as everything in your environment supports the same codec(s) and packetizarion period I would expect a vCUBE to be fine.

Cisco Unified Border Element Configuration Guide - Chapter: Supported Platforms 

Thank you Jonathan for replying!

G711 is the only codec being used in our organization. The question is: can we use the same 2 vSBC for the SIP Trunk to migrate the PRIs and the integration of CUCM with MS Teams using Direct Routing?

Thank,

MK

Yes you can.

Response Signature

Thanks,

Could you please let me know which vSBC we can use to support both SIP Trunk and MS Team functionalities?

Thanks,

MK

One more question:

Can we have vSBC in HA mode. If so, is call preservation supported?

Thanks,

MK

You should really read the relevant documentation for Cube. All, or at least most, of your questions can be found there.

Response Signature

I went through the document and see no information regarding my last questions.

Can we have vSBC in HA mode. If so, is call preservation supported?

Thanks,

MK

There's an entire chapter dedicated to High Availability on Cisco C8000V Series Cloud Services Routers. Yes, box-to-box redundancy with call preservation is possible. Note that this also requires CUBE Enhanced licenses.

Thank you Jonathan, I saw that chapter but we are going to use on premise vSBC. Do you think HA is supported on on-premise vSBC?

MK

The supported platforms chapter I link to previously states that the Cat8kv runs on VMware vSphere on-prem.

Cisco only offers one SIP SBC product: CUBE. Sizing is summarized in Table 2 of the data sheet with additional detail in the performance and sizing guidelines deck.