Views
Helpful
Replies

CUBE basic setup questions

MrMartin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

Im trying to learn the function of CUBE before we are installing it in production enviroment.

I have tested with both CSR1000V and 2911.

Activate with the following command:

Voice service VOIP

mode border element

But what is the next step? Is it possible to use two softphone and see if the calls are routed through the CUBE like the picture below?

I have manage to call to the other IP with sip:192.168.200.100 and debug with ccsip but  the CUBE not register anything.

Cube.png

In our production enviroment we will have a PBX connected to the CUBE instead and then via MPLS to another PBX.

Thanks in advance!

3 Replies 3

b.winter
VIP
VIP

But what is the next step? Is it possible to use two softphone and see if the calls are routed through the CUBE like the picture below?

That's not possible. The softphones need to be registered to a PBX to make calls. Taking your picture, the phones won't register to anything. The feature "CUBE" is not a PBX, it's just a special type of GW.

You need something like:

Phone1 <--> PBX1 <--> CUBE <--> PBX2 <--> Phone2

As you wrote in your last sentence, you have to connect the CUBE to PBX's, other CUBE's, GW's, ... but not endpoints.

There are a lot of configuration examples and helpful documents on all of the different Cisco pages and also other pages, to understand the function of a SBC (CUBE is just a Cisco name for their SBC) and also how to configure it.

Ratheesh Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Exactly as Winter mentioned. You need a PBX (like CUCM) to get the call capabilities for phones.

Setup the network

Create the phones and register in PBX

Create trunk between PBX and CUBE

Unless you are not talking about CME (Call Manager Express) here. CME is PBX+GW combined functionality

Hope this Helps

Cheers
Rath!

***Please rate helpful posts and if applicable mark "Accept as a Solution"***

MrMartin
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for your reply! Now i won't waste more time to get that working, i will go for the PBX setup instead.