Level 1
Level 1

I want to import the settings below for Line 1 on specific Devices
RECORDING OPTION 1
RECORDING PROFILE 1
RECORDING MEDIA SOURCE 1
MONITORING CALLING SEARCH SPACE 1

I'm guessing I need to include these two fields
DEVICE NAME (the DIRECTORY NUMBER 1 is on)
DIRECTORY NUMBER 1 (the extension I want to change the recording settings on)

What other fields do I need to include?
I'm using the phone.csv file I exported from CUCM Bulk Administration

TIA

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

What you really want to do is 'Update Lines'. Here are the criteria you can use for that BAT update.

ElliotDierksen_0-1710435364770.png

I rarely use the line css, so in the past I have 'tagged' lines by setting the line css to some bogus value. Device description is there to, so I have also used things like device description ends with 'XXX' or something like that. I agree with @Maren Mahoney that import/export isn't the right tool and has too much disaster potential.

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Are you talking about devices and DN/lines that already exist? If so, import wouldn't be the way to do that. You could get there via a 2 step method. Put a tag in the phone description like an 'XXX' on the end. Then do a BAT line update based on that criteria.

Hi Elliot, yes for devices that already exist.
I'll check that I can isolate them in a query...

Thanks!!!

Hi Elliot,
Were you thinking I needed to isolate the devices I needed to update and then upload a file to update the settings?
I can isolate them easily enough and import the file with the updated settings.
Am I tracking what you're saying or am I off track?

If you look at the insert phones option under Bulk Administration you'll find a sample file defined.

image.png

If you click that you'll find a quite good definition of how the file needs to look for you to import a device.

image.png

For the other fields needed on the directory number the best way to find out what those are is to do an export of a device and look at that to see what each field is named. That said there is also a sample file for Add new line, quite likely the fields mention in that is what you'd find in the export as well.

image.png

@Elliot Dierksen Imports can absolutely be used to update current devices and directory numbers, you'd just need to select the option to overwrite the current configuration when you define the bulk job.

Response Signature

Is this what I'm exporting?

kbeaton_0-1710340580717.png

So this is what I think the format would look like as an example?

The MAC address, the field names
The values I want the fields to be

MAC ADDRESS,RECORDING OPTION 1,RECORDING PROFILE 1,RECORDING MEDIA SOURCE 1,MONITORING CALLING SEARCH SPACE 1
5CFC665CCBF9,Automatic Call Recording Enabled,CalabrioRecording-Profile,Phone Preferred,SYS-Calabrio-CSS
SCFDoeJohn,Automatic Call Recording Enabled,CalabrioRecording-Profile,Phone Preferred,SYS-Calabrio-CSS

Dies this look correct?

Seems to be missing any information about the directory number.

Response Signature

Just one question. Are you looking at having different settings for these fields based on locality or something like that? If not, ie you’re planning on using the same settings across the board for all your directory numbers you could simply use the Bulk option to query for what to update by Bulk Administration > Phones > Add/Update Lines > Update Lines. With that you have all these options for what to query.

image.png

Response Signature

I agree with @Roger Kallberg that a Bulk Edit would be the most straightforward way to do this. You may not be able to capture all of the phones in one go, but several of these Bulk Edit jobs using different criteria for capturing the different groups might do the trick.

If you've never done a Bulk Edit, I included it in a webinar I did for Cisco a few years back. Here is a link to 

CUCM Bulk Administration Tool: Practical Things You Can Use Every Day 

The part about Bulk Edit starts around 13:35.

Let us know if you have questions!

Maren

I need to change all the lines that have "RECORDING OPTION 1" set to "Automatic Call Recording Enabled"
Another criteria would be to search for all the "RECORDING PROFILE 1" set to "QualityRecording-Profile"

RECORDING PROFILE 1
I need to change "QualityRecording-Profile" to "CalabrioRecording-Profile"

MONITORING CALLING SEARCH SPACE 1
I need to change "SVH_Internal" to "SYS-Calabrio-CSS"

Does this have what I need? I added the "DIRECTORY NUMBER 1" value to the strings
MAC ADDRESS,DIRECTORY NUMBER 1,RECORDING OPTION 1,RECORDING PROFILE 1,RECORDING MEDIA SOURCE 1,MONITORING CALLING SEARCH SPACE 1
5CFC665CCBF9,7213,Automatic Call Recording Enabled,CalabrioRecording-Profile,Phone Preferred,SYS-Calabrio-CSS

I think the easiest option at this point is to user the "Insert Phones Configuration" option as I can easily make a list with the 40 or so phones I need to update
Unfortunately, I don't seem to have any of the search fields set for these phones that I can used.

Maren, your video is great! I've listed to it in the past and am listening to it again...!

If there are only 40 DNs that need to be updated, I take it there is no way to group them? One option, if you can, would be to add them all to a Call Pickup Group (just for grouping purposes) and then use that as your search criteria in BAT Bulk Edit. Once you have the grouping, you can make the changes you list via Bulk Edit.

And that would be far less risky than Export/Import. Doable?

Maren

What you really want to do is 'Update Lines'. Here are the criteria you can use for that BAT update.

ElliotDierksen_0-1710435364770.png

I rarely use the line css, so in the past I have 'tagged' lines by setting the line css to some bogus value. Device description is there to, so I have also used things like device description ends with 'XXX' or something like that. I agree with @Maren Mahoney that import/export isn't the right tool and has too much disaster potential.

Hi Elliot, I'm going to run with your idea. I'll update the line descriptions so I can search for them and I do see that the values I need to change are available...

Thanks for the input!