Views
Helpful
Replies

Restrict User ID to Phone

JKaz
Level 1
Level 1

CUCM 12.5.1.17900-64

Is there a way to restrict a phone to only allow a specific login User ID?

I need to prevent erroneous logins with the same ID across a complex mobility environment.

Thank you in advance.

4 Replies 4

You cannot restrict login to specific user(s) on specific devices, but you can restrict so that a user cannot be logged into multiple devices. You do that by changing a service parameter. The most common setting in my experience is to automatically logout a user if it is logged in on another device already, that way you don’t have users who are logged into multiple devices.

Response Signature

Thank you. That would meet the intent just fine, if only I could apply that to certain users. Unfortunately, I do need some multiple logins. Very helpful nonetheless. Thanks for the quick response!

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Another option is to write your own front end and have that perform the EM API call after applying whatever business logic you need instead of using the built-in EM Phone Service.

This could be another Phone Service but you could just as easily write a chat bot so the user is already authenticated and only needs to indicate the phone to log into. I had a customer that did a lot of hot desking in their call center bake this into their CRM application: signing into the CRM on a given thin client automatically triggered an EM login on the phone at that desk. They had a simple SQL table of desk:phone associations so the user didn’t have to do anything.

Thank you Jonathan,
I assume those are two different options? (outside my current knowledge)
If so, the first may do the trick. I would have to send that to our engineers.