cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

TEHO for latam countries

amith80kumar
Level 1
Level 1

We have a requirement to configure TEHO for some of our users in latam countries. I enquired our sip provider and they say toll bypass is not allowed in latam countries. Would you know what are the legal laws there? For example I have a user in Brazil who wants to make local call to Peru and Guatemala. I can do a TEHO by configuring the user to take local gateway at each location for PSTN call. is this allowed. Any thoughts from you would help.

Thank you
Regards

3 Replies 3

We do this in Peru and we used to do it in Guatemala when we had a local breakout point there. From what I know the only countries where TEHO is really forbidden is India, Dubai and Egypt. Those are anyway the countries where the company I work for have restrictions in place.

Response Signature

Thanks Roger. I sent emails to service provider and they mention it is not allowed in LATAM countries in their email communications. Now obviously I want to ensure the company does not get into conflict with law and regulation for these regions. Is it documented somewhere that it is legal so that on that basis I can go ahead?

Thank you

My opinion only, so take everything with a grain of salt. The providers don't want you to do TEHO because they lose revenue. The question is if it is legal, and that is outside of what the provider thinks. My recollection is that TEHO is illegal where the government has a financial interest in the telco, but you should check with your own legal resources. I know I have heard it was illegal in India as @Roger Kallberg mentioned, but I didn't know about Dubai or Egypt.