Views
Helpful
Replies

Use CUWL license instead of Enhanced Plus for a 2-Device User

john karagk
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings to everyone,

I have a CUCM 14.0.1.10000-20 that has both enhanced and CUWL licenses available and reserved.

None of the CUWL licenses are used yet, only some enhanced.

I am trying to setup a user that will control 2 devices (CP-8865) and i see that the license type used is Enhanced Plus

Is there a way to force the system to look up to CUWL licenses for a user that controls 2 devices?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

john karagk
Level 1
Level 1

@Ibrahim AlQumairiI have not used all of the Enhanced licenses that I have available. Still it is assigning Enhanced Plus licenses, which I don't have, instead of CUWL that are available in my system.

Anyway, I ended up assigning another device (ghost) to the user, so that now he has 3 devices assigned, and the license changed to CUWL.

Thanks everyone for the help

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

b.winter
VIP
VIP

No, there is no way.

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

CUCM will automatically borrow licenses from a higher tier as-needed; you don’t need to worry about this. Also, the licenses you see in CUCM aren’t even how your license agreement works with Cisco with Flex annuity subscriptions anyway.

• UWL Standard (which will borrow down to lower tiers as-needed): Knowledge Workers, ie humans.
  • UCL Enhanced (50% of the KW count in an EA): Common area phones not attributable to a human.
  • UCL Essential (10% of the KW count in an EA: ATAs and SCCP-controlled VG ports.

No, because the type of license that is assigned to a user is determined by the number of devices that the user has.

However, if you have already consumed all of your Enhanced Plus licenses, then CUWL licenses will start to be assigned to users, regardless of the number of devices that they have.

john karagk
Level 1
Level 1

@Ibrahim AlQumairiI have not used all of the Enhanced licenses that I have available. Still it is assigning Enhanced Plus licenses, which I don't have, instead of CUWL that are available in my system.

Anyway, I ended up assigning another device (ghost) to the user, so that now he has 3 devices assigned, and the license changed to CUWL.

Thanks everyone for the help

If you're going to needlessly obsess over CUCM license tracking, at least build soft phone devices (e.g. CSF, TCT/BOT, TAB) the user could actually use instead of polluting the database with fake IP Phones.