Replies

About SAN topology

NeoChen722593
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have two questions:
I have two FI-6454, each with two FC uplinks,
1. As far as I know, a vHBA of a UCS Blade map to an FC uplink?
2. If I want to setup the current two FC Uplinks into port channels, will it cause a disconnection?

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Moving the uplinks into a FC port-channel (good move) will cause a temp disconnect as the vHBA will have to repin to a new target (the fc port-channel).

If you have dual paths set up (side a, side b), and can confirm looking at datastore property, multipathing, doing one side at a time (migrating 2 uplinks into fc port-channel) should have virtually no negative impact.

Probably the most elegant way to do this, would be to manually disable the paths on the side (A|B) you intend to modify into a FC port-channel.  https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2000552

After FC port-channel is operable, re-enable the paths for that side, and repeat for the other side.   Manually disabling the paths should allow any outstanding I/O to complete before moving additional I/O requests to remaining different paths.

Kirk...

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Moving the uplinks into a FC port-channel (good move) will cause a temp disconnect as the vHBA will have to repin to a new target (the fc port-channel).

If you have dual paths set up (side a, side b), and can confirm looking at datastore property, multipathing, doing one side at a time (migrating 2 uplinks into fc port-channel) should have virtually no negative impact.

Probably the most elegant way to do this, would be to manually disable the paths on the side (A|B) you intend to modify into a FC port-channel.  https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2000552

After FC port-channel is operable, re-enable the paths for that side, and repeat for the other side.   Manually disabling the paths should allow any outstanding I/O to complete before moving additional I/O requests to remaining different paths.

Kirk...

Hi @Kirk J ,

Thank you for your reply,
May I ask if Cisco recommends FC to use port channel on UCS,
and our environment still uses san boot.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card