Views
Helpful
Replies

Boot for vKVM-Mapped vDVD1.22 not in menu

kylerossd
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

I have never had a problem with this before but when I map the image in the java CIMC KVM and reboot the box I do not see a bootable DVD drive from my map.  This is a c220 M5 (ISE SNS appliance)

CIMC-KVM.png

Inside CIMC I have switched it between boot mode of Legacy and UEFI  and it made no difference.  Does anyone have any recommendations on how I would get this ISO image to show up as a DVD drive?

CIMC-Bios.png

BIOS Version: C220M5.4.0.4i.0_ISE

PID: SNS-3615-K9

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello Wes,

The "solution" was found.  Apparently the BIOS is hard coded to accept certain images to allow the mapping of a virtual drive...

So if you attached ISE 2.0 (which I needed in this case) the BIOS mapping won't show up.  However, if you attach a 2.4+ image the mapping shows up in the BIOS.  This is extremely heavy handed in my opinion because if this was on a vanilla C220M5 and not the SNS face platted c220M5 it would install without a problem....

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Wes Austin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You need to add CD/DVD to your boot order from the second screen capture that you posted.

Hello,  Thank you for the reply.

That boot order is empty.

CIMC-Bios-2.png

Scroll down slightly and there should be a [Configure Boot Order] button under the [Configured Boot Devices] list.

Thank you for your reply.  OK. So this is much different than earlier UCS servers....  There are two options CIMC mapped and KVM mapped.  So I added both.  ISE_IOS and ISE_IOS2.  Thought I covered all my basis there since I am not sure which one covers my current mapping.  It however didn't work for me.

CIMC-Bios-3.png

So after a cold boot.  F6 and look at the boot menu...nothing.

CIMC-KVM-2.png
Is there anything you see or any documentation that someone can point me too?  This is not like the earlier gen servers....

You dont need an advanced boot option, just use the basic CD/DVD boot option from the "Basic" tab. Make sure you save changes and reboot, then you should select the KVM Mapped CD/DVD option to load the ISO.

Hello Wes,  I have tried to set boot to just CD/DVD under boot.  The funny part is you would expect to see the device in the BIOS to even boot from but it simply isn't there.  I am going to try loading CIMC from a different device...

So, I have toyed with this all morning.

• Tried a different computer.  There was no difference
  • Upgraded the BIOS. No difference
  • Used the HTML5 as well at Java KVM.  No difference

I think I am about ready to toss in the towel and open a SR.

Wes Austin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Can you try to clear the BIOS CMOS? If you send me the SR you open with TAC, I can take a look and see what else we can try.

Hello Wes,

The "solution" was found.  Apparently the BIOS is hard coded to accept certain images to allow the mapping of a virtual drive...

So if you attached ISE 2.0 (which I needed in this case) the BIOS mapping won't show up.  However, if you attach a 2.4+ image the mapping shows up in the BIOS.  This is extremely heavy handed in my opinion because if this was on a vanilla C220M5 and not the SNS face platted c220M5 it would install without a problem....

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: