cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Boot from iSCSI w/MPIO & iSCSI Initators in Windows

Boudewijn Plomp
Level 1
Level 1

We recently started with a new FlexPod deployment. In this environment we boot from iSCSI. Booting from iSCSI works properly, even with two vNIC's and iSCSI overlaying vNIC's. But I notice random behaviors with the iSCSI Initiator in Windows which I can't get rid of. Allow me to explain our scenario.

Hardware:

• Cisco UCS 6248UP Fabric Interconnects (firmware 2.1(3a)
  • Cisco UCS 5108 Blade Servers
  • Cisco UCS 2208XP I/O Modules
  • Cisco UCS B200 M3 Blade Servers
    - VIC 1240 with Port Expander
  • NetApp FAS2240-2 Storage Controllers
    - 2x10Gb Ethernet interfaces

NetApp:

The NetApp Storage Controllers are configure in 7-mode. So essentialy we have two aggregates, which can be seen as two iSCSI Targets. Our LUN's (boot and additional) are deviced between the two aggregates. For example the boot LUN 0 and LUN 1 on the fist aggregate, and LUN 2 on the second aggregate.

Service Profile:

I have created several Service Profiles (from an initial tempalte). Each profile has serveral NIC's, including the following:

- iSCSI_vEth0 (with an iSCSI overlaying vNIC)

- iSCSI_vEth1 (with an iSCHI overlaying vNIC)

- vEth0

- vEth1

These vNIC are staticaly placed in vCon1, the iSCSI vNIC's at the top. We don't wan't to use Fabric Failvoer, instead we want these two NIC's in combination with MPIO (Multi-Path I/O).

Now, when a server boots it successfully connects to LUN 0 with both overlaying vNIC's. When Windows Server 2012 (R2) is installed it only has a connection to the aggregate where where LUN 0 is hosted. When you start the iSCSI Initiator you should see two connections, which you can't edit or change, because they are printed by the iSCSI Boot ROM. Now... here comes the problem.

When the OS is installed some servers already have two iSCSI connections, two vNIC to one iSCSI Target. You only have ot enable MPIO and you are in fact good to go (for that aggregate). But randomly some servers only have one iSCSI connection. And... you cannot add the second connection manually because Windows prompts an error that is already in use or hidden in the OS. The problem is we cannot connect the iSCSI Targets properly. I have tried everything I can, but we can't get rid of this issue. Something is not right.

Any suggestions? Anybody else who does experience this as well?

19 Replies 19

Another possibility.  Not mentioned anywhere in this stream is whether or not Hyper-V is installed on the host.  If that is the case, Microsoft does not support iSCSI boot - http://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2969306

My issue was that I had multiple ISCSI NICs assigned in UCS.  I needed to make sure there was only 1 ISCSI NIC (in addition to one in the boot loader).

You may want to try a static IP....

Also a big thing was once Windows booted up I needed to go into the iSCSI initiator under the control panel (admin tools?) and it told me iSCSI was not started as a service and do I want to do this.  I said yes... otherwise you'll get this screen after the first reboot as well. 

Garath: During my process I slipstreamed that update into my media to no avail.

Hi Michael,

Just wondering if you found a solution to your problem. I am getting the same screen on a WS2012 R2 box after reconfiguring my NIC from OS level teamed (which is not supported my microsoft on BfS) to fabric failover. I'm using B200M3 and FAS6280 7 mode. Things I have tried:

• Configured single path to boot LUN
  • Rolled back fabric failover changes and reverted to snapshot (was sure that would work)
  • Deleted service profile and recreated (in case of some kind of corruption)
  • Removed LUN mappings and Recreated iGroups, remapped LUNs
  • Attached boot LUN to another server and ran chkdsk /r

None of this has worked, and I am now rebuilding from scratch. The post above from mturano is interesting because KB2919355, was in fact installed to the system. I suspect this might have something to do with it along with some kind of driver issue. Any feedback from someone who has successfully resolved this would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hi all,

is there a solution for this issue?

I have the same or similar problem.

inaccessable boot device in 2012R2 hyper v installation process

Thank you

Best regards

Georg

I know this was a while ago but did you ever get this resolved?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card