cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CIMC Mananger connection

a.lee
Level 1
Level 1

Just configure our c210 box with CIMC Manager. It work for couple of days and the connection just completely went dead on us.

We setup with a static IP: 172.16.10.100,with subnet and DG.(we try to change the IP too)

We can ping it and log into the CIMC gui via IE8 and Firefox. But as of today, we can't seem to ping it or get to  the log on screen for the CIMC gui.

It says can't connect to the IP.

We try rebooting it and it would show up for couple of minutes and would do the samething again.(can't ping or show up the gui).  We really like to use this feature as this box will go off site without any IT peronsal. And remoting into this box using the CIMC manager would be great. But it seems like we are dead in the water for now.

Anyone can help us out, before I create a ticket for this incident?

15 Replies 15

abbharga
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Anthony,

1) Is the CIMC configured in dedicated mode or shared LOM?

2) What version of CIMC are you running, in case it is not the latest 1.2(2f), I would strongly suggest you to upgrade to the latest version and check the behaviour.

./Abhinav

it's on a dedicated mode

and I do have the lastest 1.2 version running on the CIMC. It's strange that if I unplug the power and plug it in. it would give me couple of minutes to log on in the gui and then it would just lock up. And thats when I can't ping the IP of the CIMC anymore.

Athony,

What is the CIMC and BIOS version installed on the C210?  Is rebooting the CIMC the only means of recovery?  Do you have access to the DGW device.  Does it show the correct IP and MAC in the arp table.  Do these values change when the host becomes inaccessible (assuming you access the C210 through the DGW).  Are you able to ping the CIMC from another host on the same subnet as the CIMC.  Does the switch interface associated with the CIMC show any issues when the CIMC is inaccessible.

Thank You,

Dan Laden

lpaquin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Anthony,

I have the same issue, the only way to get access to the CIMC with the http or able to ping the IP of the CIMC is to unplug the power.  It's good for hours and after I'm not able anymore to access the CIMC or ping the IP of the CIMC. Did you found a way to fix the issue ?

Thanks

Louis

This bug is resolved and incorporated into the next release of the CIMC firmware.  I have been told, second hand, that the next release will be released in the next 30 days.  This may be delay by QA testing results.

Thanks Daniel for your input.

I hope this is the case... I have one of our CIMC's hard down (can ping, but no SSH/HTTP/HTTPS) and if there's a fix I would rather incorporate the fix at the same time as the reboot of the host.

hhkatch44
Level 1
Level 1

I have a customer with the same issue.  Can someone confirm that this is resolved in the firmware release on 15-Jun-2012 - 1.4(5)?

Thanks,

Harry

The fix is included with 1.4.1e and newer.

Thank You,

Dan Laden

Daniel,

Not only does this dispute your earlier post, but it seems inaccurate.  I'm on 1.4(2) and experiencing this issue, which should be newer than 1.4(1e), no?

1.4(3L) is out, and it doesn't seem to include the fix.  Your post seems to indicate the next release will have this fixed... Perhaps 1.4(3m)? 

Edit - also, why isn't the bug updated?  If it's officially fixed, I would expect the bug toolkit to reference when it is fixed...

Per the development team, the fix for CSCtn06772 is included with 1.4.1e and newer.

Confirm both the CIMC firmware and BIOS had been upgraded to a later release.

CSCub25194, Memory leak and page fault in CIMC by SSH, has since been raised and has similiar symptoms.

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCub25194

TAC will be able to work with you to confirm you are or are not impacted by this later bug.  This later bug is still being reviewed and unresolved at this time.

Thank You,

Dan Laden

Ah.  I was always looking at the CIMC version, not the BIOS version.

C200.1.4.1.0 (Build Date: 07/13/2011)

So that would seem to indicate that while I am on CIMC version 1.4(2), I am on 1.4.1.0 BIOS...

You will want to review the release notes for the files included in the Host Upgrade Utility.  It will list the individual file versions.  They will not be the same and may change from platform to platform.  The are all packages together and globally refered to by the CIMC firmware release value.

Release Notes for Cisco UCS C-Series Software, Release 1.4(2)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/unified_computing/ucs/release/notes/OL-25821-01.html

Check out table 5 - 8 for your hardware platform and versions for that platform.

1.4.1 is the proper BIOS for CIMC 1.4.2 on the C200/210 platform. 

Thank You,

Dan Laden

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card