Views
Helpful
Replies

Disk recovery?

sasbsgcisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am working with a standalone C460M4 (IMC version 3.0).  In the Storage section of IMC, I see 0 disks.  I have tried booting into gparted via KVM mapped ISO.  I have successfully booted into gparted like this before, but this time during the boot I get a "Buffer I/O error on dev dr0" ... "unable to open /dev/sr0" and the virtual drive breaks.  

Any troubleshooting ideas?

9 Replies 9

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Greetings.

So do have any storage controllers listed at all?

Did you previously? If so was it a 12Gb controller?

Have you tried resetting the CIMC (Admin tab, Utilities, reboot/reset CIMC)?

Thanks,

Kirk...

Hi Kirk,

No, I only see the FlexFlash under storage.  See screenshots attached.  Also attaching a screenshot of the error I see when trying to boot into systemrescuecd iso from kvm virtual mapped cd/dvd drive.  (I get a similar but different error when trying to boot into gparted iso).   

Yes, there have previously been other storage controllers here.  I have 6 800GB Intel S3700 SSDs here. 

I'm afraid someone else may have done something bad in gparted.  

cimc-storage-2.pngcimc-storage-1.pngsystemrescuecd-boot-error.png

hello, i had faced with this problem with ucs e series it is not showing any disk etc. cimc 3 has many bugs we have opened case but there is not any progress until now i will update if it is resolved.

I am getting similar errors no matter what iso I try to boot to, usbs and virtual kvm mapped.  Even when I tried running the image in RAM.  I suppose I will try to do a factory reset maybe?  Not sure that's gonna help either, it seems like these disks are extremely corrupted?  Strangely, the FlexFlash is fine, I can still access VMWare (just no storage available).  Anyone know the best steps for factory reset?

after factory reset you are losing all of them it is not showing any device

you've tried this already?

this is the screenshot after factory reset

CIMC.png

It doesnt look like the CIMC is able to detect the storage controller, hence no drives are showing.

Did this ever work? When you boot the server, do you see the option rom for the RAID controller? Do the disks show up during POST?

Once you are able to see the RAID controller in CIMC, you will be able to detect the drives.

There is not a RAID controller in this server.. at least I've never seen one before.  I have another Cisco C460M4 that does have an Avago RAID controller and goes through that as part of the boot process, this particular box I'm on now though has never shown RAID before.  

I have definitely seen the disks before.  someone (not me) ran gparted utility to wipe disks a few days ago, then installed esxi on the flexflash HV partition.  

I can't boot to any ISO either usb or virtual kvm.  I have tried centos, gparted, systemrescuecd, and cisco huu.  

I just chose to reset factory defaults (admin->utilities).  Nothing really seems to be happening besides CIMC is now unreachable.  esxi is still up on the console, never rebooted?  I am afraid to touch anything else now since it may still be doing an update/reset (although it has been about 20 minutes now).  

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card