cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is there a way to reboot UCS C server via Serial Console?

m1xed0s
Spotlight
Spotlight

I have a UCS C series server and its serial console is connected to a KVM switch. I SSH to the KVM switch to access UCS server console to try to get into CIMC utility during server bootup...But I typed CIMC password wrong multiple times and CIMC utility is telling me that I have reached "MAXIMUM tries and reboot to continue"...I do not have anyone onsite to physically reboot it and wondering if there is any special key combination or function key to reboot it remotely? 

3 Replies 3

To remotely reboot the CIMC (Cisco Integrated Management Controller) on your UCS C series server, you can follow these steps:

1. Login to the CIMC interface.
2. In the Navigation pane, click the "Admin" tab.
3. On the "Admin" tab, click "Utilities".
4. In the Actions area of the Utilities pane, click "Reboot CIMC".
5. Click "OK".

Please note that after you reboot the CIMC, you will be logged off and the CIMC will be unavailable for a few minutes. If you reboot the CIMC while the server is performing a power-on self-test (POST) or is operating in the Extensible Firmware Interface (EFI) shell, the server will be powered down until the CIMC reboot is complete.

Before you begin you must log in as a user with admin privileges to reboot the CIMC.

If you are experiencing issues connecting via CIMC due to incorrect password entries, you may need to contact Cisco Technical Assistance Center (TAC) for additional support. [Reference Link](https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/c/sw/cli/config/guide/b_Cisco_CIMC_CLI_Configuration_Guide.pdf).

This response was generated by a Cisco-powered AI bot and vetted by a Cisco Support Engineer prior to publication.
This is part of a monitored experiment to see if the bot can help answer questions alongside community members. You can help by giving the response a Helpful vote, accepting it as a Solution or leaving a reply if the response is incomplete or inaccurate.

You can reboot the CIMC (Cisco Integrated Management Controller) remotely by following these steps:

1. In the Navigation pane, click the Admin tab.
2. On the Admin tab, click Utilities.
3. In the Actions area of the Utilities pane, click 'Reboot CIMC'.
4. Click OK.

After you reboot the CIMC, you will be logged off and the CIMC will be unavailable for a few minutes.

Please note that if you reboot the CIMC while the server is performing power-on self test (POST) or is operating in the Extensible Firmware Interface (EFI) shell, the server will be powered down until the CIMC reboot is complete. For this action, you must be logged in as a user with admin privileges.

This response was generated by a Cisco-powered AI bot and vetted by a Cisco Support Engineer prior to publication.
This is part of a monitored experiment to see if the bot can help answer questions alongside community members. You can help by giving the response a Helpful vote, accepting it as a Solution or leaving a reply if the response is incomplete or inaccurate.

To answer your question directly, there is unfortunately no way to power reset/cycle or reboot a server via CIMC (or domain FI) via serial console if you are not logged in. If you cannot log in via serial console, SSH or web interface, the only way is to powercycle by removing and adding back the power cables.

To reset the password via KVM, see https://community.cisco.com/t5/unified-computing-system-discussions/cimc-wrong-password/td-p/2544277 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card