Helpful
Replies

replace san storage of Cisco UCS

jassimalenezi
Level 1
Level 1

Greeting

we’ve 3X UCS 5108 chases connected to two

Cisco MDS 9148 SAN Switch (VSAN #2) with one EMC VNX2 storage. (diagram attached is similar to ours).

UCS.jpg

In this setup all blades boot from the SAN. (ESXI, Hyber-V, XenServer)

now we decided to replace the EMC Storage with Netapp Storage so I've attached the NetApp Storage to the same SAN switch and my idea to create same LUNs and assign it to the same vmear LUNs like side by side and start copy the data from old LUNs (EMC) to new LUNs (NetApp)

how best to go about doing this shall i create new VSAN or connect it with same VSAN(#2) of EMC VNX2 Storage. and create new zone only .

please advice 

thanks 

2 Replies 2

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Making the assumption that a given UCS host will need access to both storage solutions simultaneously until the cutover is complete...

A vHBA can only be assigned to one vsan.

You would need to create additional vHBA(s) if you wanted to split up the environment with 2 vSANs.

If this was a long term scenario where both storage environments co-existed, then 2 vSANs would be preferred.

If this is just short term, and will completely cut over to the NetApp, then continuing with the existing vsan, and add additional zoning for NetApp storage targets will probably be 'easiest'.

Hoping others will add their thoughts/past experience.

Kirk...

Dave-LC
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

If the EMC storage will "go away" after migration, why not just add the NetApp WWPNs into your existing zones? 

Since you mention "boot LUN's", I think you will need to reinstall OS/Hypervisor on new NetApp Boot LUN.

Do you separate Boot LUN from data volumes, or just create large monolithic LUNs?

Regards,

Dave

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card