Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Repurpose Cisco WSA s690 as UCS c240 M4 server

I have a few Cisco WSA s690 servers that were recently decommissioned and I want to repurpose them for use as a standard UCS c240 M4 server. I know these security appliances only allow you to boot to the asyncOS and will give a secure boot violation otherwise. What can I do? Is there any way to flash the bios/cimc firmware to the normal version? Surely there is a way to use these for something rather than becoming e-waste!? Does Cisco really expect these very capable, fairly new servers to be useless after only a few years of operation? I understand the security aspect of the locked down firmware, but after they have been decommissioned is there really no way to repurpose these? 

Any other ideas on how to use these now?

Thanks!

@Wes Austin I see you have answered similar questions in the past.

1 Reply 1

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Greetings.

Unfortunately those were sold and licensed as appliances with specific purposes.

If it were possible to accomplish what you are requesting, than it would be easy for a 3rd party (who might not have you or your company's best interests in mind) to do the same, and you end up with 'special' device.....

These just went end of sale last year, and will have updates for a least a couple more years.

Best advice I could offer would be to check with your Cisco account team.

Kirk...

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card