DNS Issue

Heiko Henning
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

we have a customer with same configurationbut he has one problem we dont have:

LAN Interface in LAN

WAN Interface in DMZ from ASA

Ping to external sites from UC over the IP Adresse of site no problem, over dns name not resolvable.

Tried many dns servers in UC (Google, from Privider...) - nothing works.

On our UC it works with all this.

What also not works is update via cloud or timeserver.

How could we solve the problem at customer?

Regards

HHenning

8 Replies 8

rbordner
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

HHenning,

Is the LAN interface and the WAN interface connected to the ASA DMZ the same IP Network?

Randy

Hello,

no - LAN is connected to LAN (192...) WAN to DMZ (10....)

Regards

HHenning

Ryan Ingman
Level 1
Level 1

HHenning

We had a the same problem albeit different hardware (have a UC540 and no ASA). What fixed it for us is we had to configure DNS Fowarding on our Windows 2003 Server. I can point you to the article I used if you want to try it or using whatever search engine you prefer should bring up plenty of ways to show you.

Hope this helps some.

Ryan

Hello,

I thought the DNS works through the WAN Interface from the UC...

Can you please post the link.

Thank you for your help.

Regards

HHenning

Hi,

It sounds like the traffic is being blocked by the ASA.  If you unplug the UC320W WAN port and temporarily connect a PC with the primary network connection, is the PC able to resolve DNS and reach https://www.ciscosbs.com/  ?  If not, the problem is the ASA is blocking the traffic.

Hope this helps,

Chris

Hello,

on ASA is at customer and us same configuration - security level 50 on dmz 0 at outside - no blocking rules enabled.

And another point is: it worked first times (before Update to 2.1.4 of UC.

And yes - a pc works in dmz.

Regards

HHenning

Hi Heiko,

Suggest you open a case with the Cisco Small Business support center.  They can load on a tool to capture packets from the WAN interface of the UC320W.  This requires a USB key in one of the USB ports of the UC320W to capture data.

Chris

Seeing some of your other posts I doubt the fix that worked for us will work for you. Either way here is the link,

http://www.itgeared.com/articles/1032-configure-dns-forwarding-in-windows/, so you can at least try it.