cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need help setting up a DIAL PLAN for use in the UK?

bodgeup
Level 1
Level 1

I posted my question here: -

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3330856#3330856

But wasnt getting any response in the SPA9000 thread so am trying here.

Thanks

John Kenny

9 Replies 9

This article may give a little more insight as to understanding dial plans:

http://blog.cqvoip.net/2010/03/understanding-dial-plans-for-spa2102.html

While that article is not specific to the SPA9000, I believe the fundamentals are the same.

Here are a couple suggestions to try:

- First, try removing all the "S0" entries from the existing plan.  These may not be allowing anything longer than 10 digits from dialing.

- If  you want 0207xxxxxxx to dial as an 8-digit local number, try adding this entry to the plan:  |<:020>7xxxxxxx| . When you stop digit entry after entering an 8-digit sequence that begins with 7, then on time-out it will pre-pend the number with 020 and send the full number as 0207xxxxxxx.

- You can also try adding this string inside the plan:  |xxxxxxxxxxxx.|  This should allow any number of any length to dial through.  (as long as you don't have any "S0" entries to cause immidiate dialing when a shorter dial length is reached).

Ive changed this original DIAL PLAN: -

(9,[3469]11S0|9,<:1408>[2-9]xxxxxx|9,<:1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxxS0|9,1[2-9]xxxxxxxxxS0|9,011xx.|9,xx.|[1-8]xx)

to this by removing S0 entries and adding |9,xxxxxxxxxxx| as you suggested: -

(9,[3469]11|9,<:1408>[2-9]xxxxxx|9,<:1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|9,1[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|9,011xx.|9,xx.|[1-8]xx|9,xxxxxxxxxxx|)

But im sure all those entries are not needed could you advise on what i could take out? 

Im sure most of those are meant for US users ut im a noob when it comes to DIAL PLANS so not sure if taking them out will screw up my phones?

Thanks

JK

You left out the period (.) at the end of the string of 12 x's I suggested:

|xxxxxxxxxxxx.|

I'm not really familiar with UK dialing or SPA9000 specificly.

But, lets start with the most simple plan possible.  And, then you can build up from there.

If as you suggested in your previous post (linked), then you only want to do local calling as: 0207xxxxxxx  (11-digit dialing?)

You can do this with a simple plan like:  (xx.)

This plan esentially lets you dial any length of numbers, greater than 1 digit.

If you need to enter digit "9" to get outside line, then I believe it would then look like this:  (9,xx.)

This is as simple as you can get - it will let you dial any string you like.

If you want to shorten your 11-digit dialing to 8-digit local dialing, try this plan (9,<:020>7xxxxxxx).  This plan only allows you to dial 8-digit numbers, that begin with a 7, and will then pre-pend that string with 020.  So, if you only dial 7xxxxxxx , it will dial out 0207xxxxxxxx .

If you add the previous suggested (9,xx.) to your plan, you can then dial any other sequence you like, that is greater or less than 8-digits.

For example, just try this out and see how it works:

(9,<:020>7xxxxxxx|9,xx.)

Obviously, dial plans can be as simple or complex as one requires.  Start with the simplest requirements, test it, and if it works, build onto that to meet each special dial sequence requirement, if need be.

Thanks for your help with this i really appreciate it.

I think ive finally got an understanding of the DIAL PLAN syntax and i have created this as my DIAL PLAN:-

(9,[9]99|9,xx.|1xx|9,xxxxxxxxxxx|9,7xxxxxxx)

Does this lookl OK to you??  do i have to put a . at the end of each entry then?

Thanks

JK

Because you have already entered |9,xx.| in the plan, I think, the entry |9,xxxxxxxxxxx| is redundant.

In "xx." the dot (.) means the preceeding digit can be repeated at infinitum.  Because x represents any digit, a dot after x just means you can enter any digit any number of times more.  Thus, xx. includes "xxxxxxxxxxx".

So, I think your plan can be simplified to:  (9,[9]99|9,xx.|1xx|9,7xxxxxxx)

Actually, you can even eleminate: 9,[9]99 because xx. will include 999.

(You don't need the 9 in [brackets] unless there are other "optional" digits to include as optional.)

However, if you append 999 with S0, then when, and only when 999 is entered, it will send immediate without delay.  So, now 999S0 needs to be a separeate entry for the quick-dial benefit.

So, now the plan could be:   (9,999S0|9,xx.|1xx|9,7xxxxxxx).

Now, I might re-order the plan as:  (1xx|9,999S0|9,7xxxxxxx|9,xx.)

I'm not sure you even need the entry |9,7xxxxxxx|, because 9,xx. includes that sequence.

So, again, the above string can be simplified to only:  (1xx|9,999S0|9,xx.)

And, if you don't need 999 calls to be immediate (S0), the whole string can be reduced to (1xx|9,xx.)

You really only need to get complex with your plan if you want to ONLY allow "specific" dial sequences to proceed, then otherwise anything else will be rejected.  For example, you may need to accomodate special sequences that include * codes.  Decide what your specific needs are, and then design the plan around that.  Be sure to test the plan and make sure everything works the way you want and expect.

Thanks for the advice i appreciate it.

JK

You're welcome.  Good luck.

Regards,

Jeff - cqvoip.net

If you want 0207xxxxxxx to dial as an 8-digit local number, try adding this entry to the plan:  |<:020>7xxxxxxx| . When you stop digit entry after entering an 8-digit sequence that begins with 7, then on time-out it will pre-pend the number with 020 and send the full number as 0207xxxxxxx.

If you want to shorten your 11-digit dialing to 8-digit local dialing, try this plan (9,<:020>7xxxxxxx). This plan only allows you to dial 8-digit numbers, that begin with a 7, and will then pre-pend that string with 020. So, if you only dial 7xxxxxxx , it will dial out 0207xxxxxxxx .

In London you need to be able to dial any and all of 3xxx xxxx, 7xxx xxxx and 8xxx xxxx as local numbers.

All of these come under the single unified London 020 area code that has been in use since April 2000.

If you want 0207xxxxxxx to dial as an 8-digit local number, try adding this entry to the plan:  |<:020>7xxxxxxx| . When you stop digit entry after entering an 8-digit sequence that begins with 7, then on time-out it will pre-pend the number with 020 and send the full number as 0207xxxxxxx.

In London you need to be able to dial any and all of 3xxx xxxx, 7xxx xxxx and 8xxx xxxx as local numbers.

All of these come under the single unified London 020 area code that has been in use since April 2000.

To cover your indicated areas, I believe you should be able to modify   |<:020>7xxxxxxx|  to allow 3, 7, 8 as optional entries [378], as follows:

|<:020>[378]xxxxxxx|