Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Get AP Ethernet MAC and Radio MAC command

Hello,

I would like to get a list of the associated APs on my controller.  I would like the list to show the name of the AP, the Ethernet MAC, and the Base Radio MAC address.  I planned to do a show run-config, save that information to a file and then parse that file for the information I want, but I am guessing there is an easier way.  If so I would appreciate a point in the right direction as I am having trouble locating such a command.

Thanks,

Mike

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I'm not aware of a single command that shows all APs and both MAC addresses (but it might exist?). Maybe an AP Inventory report in WCS can do it?

In the show run-config, you are correct that the AP Config section shows all the information you want....

But if you look near beginning and near end of the AP section, you can find a list of AP Summary where the first one lists all the APs with the Ethernet MAC,  and then toward the end in the Radio section you'll see a list of all the APs with thier base radio mac.....  Maybe you can combine those two lists and it be easier than trying to parse through each AP....?

The AP group stuff starts at:  "AP Summary"

The Radio stuff starts at: "802.11a Advanced Configuration"

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I would like the list to show the name of the AP, the Ethernet MAC, and the Base Radio MAC address.

I hope you like doing this CLI because the command is:  sh ap config general

I planned to do a show run-config, save that information to a file and then parse that file for the information I want, but I am guessing there is an easier way.

Here's an easier way:  What config????  The AP doesn't have a config, per se.  All the config comes from the WLC.  The only thing different are the IP addresses, hostname and location (among other things).

leolaohoo wrote:

I would like the list to show the name of the AP, the Ethernet MAC, and the Base Radio MAC address.

I hope you like doing this CLI because the command is:  sh ap config general

I planned to do a show run-config, save that information to a file and then parse that file for the information I want, but I am guessing there is an easier way.

Here's an easier way:  What config????  The AP doesn't have a config, per se.  All the config comes from the WLC.  The only thing different are the IP addresses, hostname and location (among other things).

I do like doing things the CLI way.  However the command sh ap config general does not show the Radio MAC address.  It only shows the Ethernet MAC.

I know the vast majority of the config is on the controller.  I said in my question that I want to view that information for all APs on the current controller.  When I referenced show run-config I meant on the controller.  The output of that command shows all the information I want (AP Name, Ethernet MAC, Radio MAC, for ALL APs) but it also displays a barrage of other information.  I was hoping there was a command that still displayed all of that information but in a more concise way.

I'm not aware of a single command that shows all APs and both MAC addresses (but it might exist?). Maybe an AP Inventory report in WCS can do it?

In the show run-config, you are correct that the AP Config section shows all the information you want....

But if you look near beginning and near end of the AP section, you can find a list of AP Summary where the first one lists all the APs with the Ethernet MAC,  and then toward the end in the Radio section you'll see a list of all the APs with thier base radio mac.....  Maybe you can combine those two lists and it be easier than trying to parse through each AP....?

weterry wrote:

Sounds good... looks like I am off to write a script that grabs the information from show run-config and parses it for the information I need.

Thanks for the help.

Mike

Casey Lewis
Level 1
Level 1

I know this is an old thread, but anyone else looking for this info, there's a command that shows the info you are looking for (tested in v7.4 and v7.6):

show ap join stats summary all

Shows the Base MAC, AP EthernetMAC, AP Name, IP Address, Status

Hopefully this helps someone else out as well :)

Thanks,

-casey

This worked like a champ. Thanks

I found this one as well looking for a quick export of radio macs. There is also

'show ap config [802.11a/802.11b/802.11-a49/802.11-a58/general/slot] <Cisco AP>'

show ap config 802.11a summary

-Bill

Roodavis
Level 1
Level 1
I know this is an old thread, but it looks like it may be relevant to my question. I am looking for a list of AP's Base Radio MAC Addresses in the Cisco Prime Infrastructure web portal. I don't have access to the controller to run commands. So far the only way I have found to get the AP Base Radio MAC Address is to select the AP from the Inventory/Device Management/ Network Devices list individually. I only have 114 AP's, so it will take a little more time than I would like. ANy suggestions greatly appreciated.

CSCO11514622
Level 1
Level 1

I know this thread is very old :

But just in case somebody need to known the mac radio to check if some AP are well associated for WLC 5500 and 2500.

To find the radio MAC with name

snmpwalk -v 2c -c snmpv2c_community WLC_DNS_or_IP 1.3.6.1.4.1.14179.2.2.1.1 | grep -i AP1602-BLABLABLA
SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.14179.2.2.1.1.3.232.237.243.26.11.11 = STRING: "CO-AP1602-BLABLABLA"

232.237.243.26.11.11 : It's the AP RADIO MAC in Decimal.

You can monitor the association to WLC with this OID adding the radio mac in decimal at the end.
snmpwalk -v 2c -c snmpv2c_community WLC_DNS_or_IP 1.3.6.1.4.1.14179.2.2.1.1.6.232.237.243.26.11.11
SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.14179.2.2.1.1.6.232.237.243.26.11.11 = INTEGER: 1

Integer:1 ==> Well associated

Hoping this can help someone

Danidan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card