Views
Helpful
Replies

RV180W - cannot add any AP to network

bartek001
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

We have smaill network on new construction point based on RV180W with WPA wlan configured.

We bought two WAP4410N APs to increase covrage of WLAN (APs are connected via LAN)

But I cannot make it work. PCs are not able to receive IP address (router has set DHCP).

if i set static IP I'm able to connect to AP and ping it but not router.

I've checked those APs in others network and work without any issue (instantly),.

Lookls like TV180W prevent routings beyond AP. So, how to fix it?

Of course, connecting directly via wireless or via cable to router works perfectly...

info form dahbord:

Device Information
Host Name
routerEE8F1EEdit
Firmware Version
Serial Number
SER1638008H
Users
1/2
Resource Utilization
CPU
100 %
Memory
30 % (38.4/128 MB)
Current Time
2013-Jun-13, 11:12:21 GMT
System Up Time
2 days, 18 hours, 13 minutes, 24 seconds
5 Replies 5

jeffrrod
Level 4
Level 4

Dear Customer,

Thank you for reaching Cisco Small Business Support Community.

The WAP4410N is nothing more than a wireless hub, and as such cannot be configured to handle DHCP capabilities, therefore I think the problem is with the WAP4410N AP mode in use, specially since the default is to be "Access Point" so please go ahead and try:

AP Mode > AP Mode

Wireless WDS Repeater

There you must enter the RV180 MAC address, and notice you do not require to physically connect the RV180 to the WAP4410N Access Points.

I'll be looking forward to hear from you.

Kind regards,

Jeffrey Rodriguez S. .:|:.:|:.
Cisco Customer Support Engineer

*Please rate the Post so other will know when an answer has been found.

Jeffrey Rodriguez S. .:|:.:|:. Cisco Customer Support Engineer *Please rate the Post so other will know when an answer has been found.

Thx Jeffrey for the replay.

I know that WAP4410 is quite simple AP so there is no DHCP server built in (DHCP is set on RV180W of course) -

I will try your way next week (as site is few hundredes km away).

Problem is in router - when I connect this AP (without changing conf) to any other router it works as I expect -

I can connect to net.

Hello Folks,

I have far too much experience with this exact issue on the RV180w. It appears that the "rogue access point detection" software is always enabled on this device, regardless of setting, and seems to randomly stop Internet access from any other AP on the same subnet.

At times, you can reboot the RV180w and the secondary AP, and all will work for a short while. Eventually, the secondary AP will lose connection and be blocked from the RV180w's gateway to the Internet. Most of the time, clients that connect to the secondary AP will not be able to receive a DHCP address, but even if they do get an address, Internet access is blocked.

I've tried every F/W update ever released for this device, and all fail in this way. Note that I have also tried multiple brands and models of secondary AP - all are blocked by the RV180w. I've tried enabling the rogue access point detection in the RV180w and authorizing my secondary router, but this does not work either.

If I replace the RV180w with a similar Netgear FVS318N, the secondary AP's work fine. I have also found (and documented by Cisco) that port fowarding with a PPPoE Internet connection does not work on the RV180w, and I've found (and documented by Cisco) that DMZ no longer works with the latest 1.0.2.6 firmware!

My advice is to avoid this pathetic little box!

Andy Williams

Hello Bartek001/Andy,

My name is Vijay S. Venkitachalam. Thank you for using support forum.

Is it a problem of Client Lease Time (DHCP)? Did you try increasing this value? Also, I suggest making both devices IPv6 and then give it a shot.

Please let me know if it didn't work. Also, if have tried all this already please ignore my post.

Thanks,

Vijay S. Venkitachalam

nnerling79
Level 1
Level 1

I wish I had seen this article before wasting so much time thinking there was something wrong with the access points. I'm extremely disappointed and frustrated that Cisco would continue to sell such an inferior product.

I can confirm this same behaviour right out of the box. I updated the units firmware from 1.0.1.9 to 1.0.3.10 and the same behaviour occurs. I also tried firmware 1.0.2.6 with similar results.

It appears that the Rogue Access Point feature is enabled even if the option is disabled. Furthermore, the same behaviour occurs even if the access points are added as "authorized APs" on the router. 

I am using two Engenius ENH200 and two EAP600 access points.

Wireless clients that associate with attached access points will not receive a DHCP address. Furthermore, the client will still not be able to connect to the internet if the client re-associates with the RV180W wireless SSID unless the router has been rebooted.

The only work around I could find was to disable the wireless radio on the RV180W and reboot the router. After disabling the wireless on the router, all access points function properly.

I also found that this router was not reliable for VoIP (specifically SIP) applications.

I ended up replacing this unit with an RV220W and have since experienced no issues, it has been very stable.

I purchased this router from Canada Computers, and even though I returned it within 6 days, they would not issue a refund because they claim the unit operates as per Ciscos specification. Any prospective buy would be well served to read the laundry list of known issues with this router that Cisco has addressed in their 1.0.3.10 firmware release document:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/csbr/rv180w/release_notes/rv180w_rn_1-0-3-10.pdf

I am working with a Cisco technican in hopes that they will provide an RMA or refund on this unit. (Case#628314587).