Views
Helpful
Replies

1260 AP Question

Patrick McHenry
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

I'm ordering two standalone 1260 APs. Will I be able to convert them to capwap at a later date?

Thanks, Pat.

17 Replies 17

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Will I be able to convert them to capwap at a later date?

Yes.  Just copy the "RCV" file and boot from it.

Hi,

I'm also interesting about the upgrade of standalone 1260 AP into capwap mode. I don't know the RCV file.

Where can I upload it ?

Where this file should be copied ?

Thanks, Jonas.

Where can I upload it ?

Download the RCV file from the Cisco DownloadSoftware site.

Use this guide to copy the IOS to your WAP:  Software Upgrade Procedure

Do u have WCS? You can do it very easily using WCS.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Thanks for the info.

Thank you all for the information.

Correct me if it's wrong.

When we have an access point in standalone mode, it's possible to upgrade it in lightweight mode with a LWAPP image.

In our case, because we use the CAPWAP, we have blocked in the firewall the ports for the LWAPP and authorize the ports fro the CAPWAP.

So, I'm wondering if an CAPWAP image exists as well ?

When we have an access point in standalone mode, it's possible to upgrade it in lightweight mode with a LWAPP image.

Yes.

In our case, because we use the CAPWAP, we have blocked in the firewall the ports for the LWAPP and authorize the ports fro the CAPWAP.

So, I'm wondering if an CAPWAP image exists as well ?

Depends.  You can check the flash of your WAP if an "RCV" image exist.

Ok but the RCV image should be a CAPWAP type or LWAPP type? I'm wondering if an image exists for each type ?

If it's mandatory to convert a standalone to a lightweight (LWAPP) I will update my firewall to authorize the LWAPP and CAPWAP ports.

If it's mandatory to convert a standalone to a lightweight (LWAPP) I will update my firewall to authorize the LWAPP and CAPWAP ports.

I don't understand.  If you want to convert your WAPs from autonomous to CAPWAP, then yes, you need your firewall to let the WAP talk to the WLC.

Otherwise, if you are happy using autonomous IOS then it's not "mandatory" to convert to CAPWAP/LWAP when you don't need to.

Sorry, it's difficult to explain.

In all the case, we use the lightweight mode access point. In our infrastructure we use CAPWAP.

Because we are using CAPWAP we have opened only in the firewall, the following ports used for the CAPWAP tunnel:

UDP 5246 & 5247

So, when I convert my access points ordered from standalone to lightweight, I have to use a CAPWAP image to have association with my WLC and matches with my UDP 5246 & 5247.

If I use an LWAPP image, I can't have association because LWAPP use the following ports:

UDP 12223 & 12222

Maybe, I have wrong and there is not difference between CAPWAP and LWAPP image and just standalone or lightweight image ?

The 1260 uses capwap not lwapp since 5.2 is the minimum code requirement on the wlc.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/1260/quick/guide/ap1260getstart.html#wp41694

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thank you. Of course I will use CAPWAP.

But my question was also for example for the 1240 series with LWAPP and CAPWAP possible ...

if the 1240 has a rcv image that is above 12.4.24 it should be capwap. Anything below would be LWAPP. It's possible that there is not a capwap 1240 image.

Steve

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Well the 1240 is a different story. It joins first using lwapp then if your wlc is 5.x then it will change to capwap. Like Steve mentioned, look at the code version in CCO. You could always open the FW ports for lwapp until the AP's have joined then close it back up.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card