cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

150ax - Wi-Fi 5 only?

KSquared
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a method to have a 105ax use only Wi-Fi 5 and below? Essentially turn off Wi-Fi 6? 

Reason I ask - I'm troubleshooting connectivity of a credit card terminal (FD150). At the customer's site where this is only 150ax WAPs I cannot get it to connect. If I take the terminal to my lab, it won't connect to either another 150ax or a Unifi U6-Pro. But in my lab I can get it to connect to my AC-Pro. Which leads me to believe that a Wi-Fi 6 AP, even with Wi-Fi 5 and older protocols, is the problem. Whatever the negotiation process is to agree on a protocol, the FD150 terminal can't do it with a Wi-Fi 6 capable AP.

And so there is my tale of woe. Any help/insight gladly accepted.

1 Accepted Solution
6 Replies 6

KSquared
Level 1
Level 1

@balaji.bandi you are indeed a community legend. I turned off the settings detailed in the link you provided and Voila! the terminal can associate with the AP, get's an IP, and I'm able to run a charge.

Thanks - I can't tell you how much time you've saved me. 

Appreciated your good words and thank you for the feedback...Glad all is good on your side.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Note that this problem is caused by faulty client drivers.  Intel had the same problem initially:
https://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en/support/articles/000054799/wireless.html
You should notify the card terminal supplier because the problem will become more prevalent as all equipment becomes WiFi 6 enabled.

Rich R -

Interesting. Although notifying the terminal supplier (FiServ) is waste of bandwidth. They don't care. As soon as they can prove that the problem isn't with the terminal they're done.  I spoke with a supposed 'Level 2' support engineer who couldn't even tell me which version of 802.11 they support (It's 802.11n by the way). Which is what got me thinking about how to turn off WiFi 6 functionality. My guess is that the FD150 is going to go EOL sometime soon and FiServ isn't interested in making any updates to the platform. They have a new platform, Clover, that they'd rather sell if you need to use 802.11ac or x.

Thanks for the reply and the additional info.

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Ack - common problem with vendors of that type of equipment.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card