Helpful
Replies

5520 wlc & VLAN Override

jaketheape
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Best I explain my setup:

We have 2x sites that we are using, 1x as our primary site and the other is what we call our backup site. They are located quite some distance from each other.

At each of these sites I have a 5520 foreign wlc with a 3504 anchor.

We have around another 6x sites located throughout the country where the Access Points are located all on different subnets. They will shortly be added to a routable VLAN in order to connect back to the foreign controllers.

What I want to do is add half of the APs to 1x foreign controller at 1x site, and the other half of the AP's to connect back to the other foreign controller at the other site. However, if we lose 1x of the controllers - half of the AP's will lose their connection. I was looking at something called VLAN override in wlc but wasn't entirely surely how or if this would apply to what I wanted to do. I want the AP's that would have lost their connection to that 1x controller to automatically connect to the other controller that is still up ? 

The AP's although located at various sites are using the same vlan number, but of course they are on different subnets.

Any advice much appreciated. Thanks

4 Replies 4

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Perhaps you could just configure the AP's as it is being done in a N+1 HA setup , with  a primary controller , secondary  and etc-address (?)

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Hi, the plan is to use an N+1 setup but I suppose my question is if I have an AP in one of my sites, say that is connecting back to the 1x controller in one of the sites (primary for instance), if that controller goes down the AP would normally look for its HA and so connect to this. Wouldnt the client that was connecting to the primary controller now be picking up a different ip address from the secondary controller ? I thought vlan override would allow for the client to continue to use its own routable vlan at that site which it is at? 

I think what you want here is a FlexConnect setup.  This will allow clients to use local site IP addresses and the clients would have the same IP regardless of what controller their AP is registered to.  You could do this in an HA setup, or by just listing primary and secondary controllers in the High Availability config for each AP.

Hi, I think so yes but what i was trying to say was if i for instance was at my primary site where the primary wlc controller is, APs are on a separate routable VLAN, my client laptop is on a separate client PC/laptop VLAN. If this primary controller fails, using HA it will tell the AP to go to the secondary controller, thats ok, clients however would get an IP address from the secondary sites vlan where the HA controller is. If using Flexconnect without override then the clients would get an ip address from the vlan the access points are in and not the pc vlan ? I probably dont know enough about how vlan override works.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card