cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

9115 AP air-pwrinj6 PoE/Medium Power

jocke9292
Level 1
Level 1

I've got 2 C9115AXI-E each connected with air-pwrinj6 to a Cisco SG200-26 Switch. The APs are running in ewc-mode and I receive the "PoE/Medium Power" power status in the GUI. Which does only make it 2x2 rather than 4x4 performance wise.

The switch is a non POE-switch and both CDP and LLDP is enabled.

According to this page the AIR-PWRINJ6 = should give full power.

The text on the power-injector says AIR-PWRINJ6

It's the same model as the image in this thread with a different subject. https://community.cisco.com/t5/ip-telephony-and-phones/phone-8861-with-8800-kem-28-buttons-isn-t-powering-up/td-p/4680111

I don't really know where to contact Cisco in this case since we don't have any contracts on those units. But we clearly have an issue.

9 Replies 9

if you want to contact cisco support, you can access https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/index.html and open new case. also you can contact your cisco partner to get help on this.

Please rate this and mark as solution/answer, if this resolved your issue
Good luck
KB

I was not able to log a tac-case since there was no contract asociated. But contacting my distributor was a good idea if I don't resolve the issue

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Ref : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/catalyst-9100ax-access-points/datasheet-c78-741988.html
                           >....Presumably the info below should not apply to your case , try to disable CDP and LLDP 

Input power requirements

●  802.3at Power over Ethernet Plus (PoE+), 802.3bt Cisco Universal PoE (Cisco UPOE+, Cisco UPOE)
●  Cisco power injector, AIR-PWRINJ6=
●  802.3af PoE
●  Cisco power injector, AIR-PWRINJ5= (Note: This injector supports only 802.3af)

Note: When 802.3af PoE is the source of power, both 2.4-GHz and 5-GHz radios will be reduced to 2x2 and Ethernet downgraded to 1 Gigabit Ethernet. In addition, the USB port will be off.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Thanks, that actually did work. Disable cdp on the switch-port facing the AP. It kinda make sense since the switch does anounce it doesn't support poe. But it would have been nice not having too. 

I will look into it more on monday. I have some other poe-injectors. Which is also AIR-PWRINJ6, but slimmer design but a couple of years old.

Now I'll have to figur out how to reboot the master-AP.

Arshad Safrulla
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I assume that the switch is negotiating POE with the AP, I have seen this happens specifically with SG and CBS switch models, just disable POE under the switchport. It has to be done from the GUI if I remember correctly or disable CDP or LLDP under the switchport.

Also check once you connect the AP to injector whether you can see the green LED in the injector itself.

Disabling CDP on the port and a reboot did the trick. Interesting on the smb-line I'll have to check that. I do have one more AP at the office for another site, and an older 2960. Since the SG200 doesn't have POE there's nothing to disable

Now I just have to figure out how to reboot the master AP to have it renegotiate.

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Did you remember to configure power injector override?
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/9800/config-guide/newconfigmodel/b_catalyst-9800-configuration-model/m_configuring-profiles.html#task_p2b_jxn_kz
Point 37.

I didn't know those settinges existed anymore since it had been moved from the AP config to the AP join policy. Thanks for the reminder. But you'll have to run a different profile for each AP if you rely on the switch-port mac config.

But it didn't help to set it to "Switch Flag Enabled, Power Injector State Enabled and Power Injector Type Override". And reboot the AP. As I've said in earlier replies disabling CDP on the switch-port. is the solution right now.

One thing I have in my head is a different model of the AIR-PWRINJ6 gave me full power with CDP enabled. But I'll have to look into it tomorrow at the office

jocke9292
Level 1
Level 1

As @Arshad Safrulla said. I can verify testing with the same AIR-PWRINJ6 and an older 2960 (100mbit) switch without POE and CDP enabled I got full power without issues. I didn't have to set the power injector override either. So I guess this is an issue with the SMB (SG/CBS) line of switches.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card