Views
Helpful
Replies

9115AX LED red blinking due to PoE

l.buschi
Level 2
Level 2

Hello,

hi have APs Catalyst 9115AX connected to 100Mbps 802.3af ports. They work normally but led continuously blink green-blue-red.

Is there a way to disable red blinking?

Accordind to data sheet, AP 9115AX can work with 802.3af PoE:

Input power requirements

●  802.3at Power over Ethernet Plus (PoE+), 802.3bt Cisco Universal PoE (Cisco UPOE+, Cisco UPOE)
●  Cisco power injector, AIR-PWRINJ6=
●  802.3af PoE
●  Cisco power injector, AIR-PWRINJ5= (Note: This injector supports only 802.3af)

Note: When 802.3af PoE is the source of power, both 2.4-GHz and 5-GHz radios will be reduced to 2x2 and Ethernet downgraded to 1 Gigabit Ethernet. In addition, the USB port will be off.

11 Replies 11

See below, it indicates insufficient power to get all radios up.

9115-LED.png

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/9115ax/quick/guide/ap9115ax-getstart.html#pgfId-69305 

You can disable LED off if you like. If it is managed by 9800 following command will work

C9800-2#ap name <AP_NAME> no led

If it is with AireOS controller, try below CLI command
(H3504) >config ap led-state disable <AP_NAME>

HTH
Rasika
*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Do you have CDP enabled on the switch ports (it must be)?
What does sh cdp neigh <int> detail and "sh power inline" show?

You should also take the power budget requirements from those data sheets with a pinch of salt - they are WRONG! (Reported to Cisco years ago, still not corrected).
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/catalyst-9100ax-access-points/datasheet-c78-741988.html#Productspecifications says 20.4W for 9115AXI (you don't mention your exact model) but in reality the actual power request is:
Power drawn: 24.100 Watts
Power request id: 31754, Power management id: 2
Power request levels are:24100 15400 0 0 0

Power request level are 18000 and 15400 0 0 0

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

LED is always blinking red?  
That means the AP is in u-boot.

I think the question was supposed to be "Is there a way to disable red led blinking?" because just before that it says "led continuously blink green-blue-red"

In that case, the answer is "no". 
If the users do not want to see the blinking LED (during any stages of the APs operation) then cover it.  

there is no need to cover the ap, I can completely disable led from management. but I wondered if there is another way to only disable red-blinking.

@l.buschi wrote:

I wondered if there is another way to only disable red-blinking.

No.  It is either on or off.

exactly, the red blinking let the ap seem there is something not correctly working even if the ap is fully functional.

No, the APs are completely functional and they are working with no problems.

Actually they do have a problem, not enough power, but still work with a vastly reduced performance. 

But no, at the moment you can't disable just the red color. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card