cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

9800 HA N+1 Retaining AP Tags

awatson20
Level 4
Level 4

We are in the process of converting to Cisco 9800 controllers and are testing the HA failover in a N+1 deployment.  When AP's are failed mover to the secondary HA controller, they are falling into the default policy, site, and rf tag group.  On the HA controller, we have the policy tag, site tag, and RF tag defined, but this is still not working correctly.  Any input on how to ensure that AP's land in the correct tags on the HA backup controller?  We checked on the box for enabling tag persistence but that did not seem to work.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

marce1000
VIP
VIP

-  You may  check the configuration of both controllers using the command show tech wireless ; feed the output into :
                                                                      Wireless Config Analyzer

Also recommending to configure ap  tag persistency enable to have the configured tags saved on the AP automatically ; CLI based execution is better  , sometimes GUI has bugs ,

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

marce1000
VIP
VIP

-  You may  check the configuration of both controllers using the command show tech wireless ; feed the output into :
                                                                      Wireless Config Analyzer

Also recommending to configure ap  tag persistency enable to have the configured tags saved on the AP automatically ; CLI based execution is better  , sometimes GUI has bugs ,

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Do this(ap  tag persistency enable) on both the primary controller and the secondary HA?

- Yes , also use the mentioned WirelessAnalyzer procedure , it can be very helpful , 

M.

Enabling the ap tag persistency in the cli seemed to work. One last question, on the HA backup controller, for locations with access points that will possibly failover, is it best practice to have all of the site tags / policy tags defined on the HA controller for all locations similar to how AP groups were used in AireOS? Or, can we rely on the AP tag persistence feature to carry over?

JPavonM
VIP
VIP

Which IOS-XE version are you running?

Cisco added ap tag persistency on 17.6.1 enabled by default so all APs will carry their tags to other N+1 WLCs unless there would be a static config for them with different tags (https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/9800/17-6/config-guide/b_wl_17_6_cg/m_ap_tag_persistency.html?bookSearch=true)

Both primary and secondary HA controller are on version 17.9.4a.  Does "Enable AP Tag Persistency" need to be checked on both controllers?

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Added reply (ref) : https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/9800/17-4/deployment-guide/c9800-n-plus-1-high-availability-wp.pdf
              Read paragraph :  Moving APs between controllers and preserving tags

M.

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Does "Enable AP Tag Persistency" need to be checked on both controllers?
Yes.
all locations similar to how AP groups were used in AireOS?
Yes the config must be mirrored on each WLC which the AP could join.  The tag will persist on the AP but if the tag is not configured on the WLC then the AP will be forced back to default tags because the WLC doesn't recognise the tag.

That's the thing with N+1 redundancy - it's up to you to keep your WLCs running with the same config.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card