[Bengaluru , Amsterdam , Gibraltar , Cupertino]

What does the image name mean?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Nothing important, really. 

Just attached "names" to each version groups. 

• Amsterdam is from 17.1.X, 17.2.X and 17.3.X (long life)
  • Bengalaru is from 17.4.X, 17.5.X and 17.6.X (long life)
  • Cupertino is from 17.7.X, 17.8.X and 17.9.X (long life)

Too many names for me to enumerate.  They're just names.  

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Nothing important, really. 

Just attached "names" to each version groups. 

• Amsterdam is from 17.1.X, 17.2.X and 17.3.X (long life)
  • Bengalaru is from 17.4.X, 17.5.X and 17.6.X (long life)
  • Cupertino is from 17.7.X, 17.8.X and 17.9.X (long life)

Too many names for me to enumerate.  They're just names.  

what are the advantages over each other? which one do you prefer?

when upgrading the switch version, do you stay with the current IOS Software ? or you moved to a different IOS Software? Example if the switch is on Bengaluru, do you stay with Bengaluru and just upgrade to the latest MD or you try a different IOS Software like Amsterdam, Gibraltar?

All IOS-XE, regardless of platform, are not suitable for high uptimes due to numerous memory leaks in the control- and data plane that the switches need to be rebooted once every 8 to 12 months.  

Hello Leo Laohoo,

Unfortunatelly I have to agree with you
We moved from 2960-X to 9300/9300L. It's now the "memory leak" land in production. 

"Funny" behavior for a material which is supposed to be productiv... Any workaround rather than a reload ? we have to live with these IOS-XE now !

cheers 

@LFR Admins wrote:
Any workaround rather than a reload

Nothing but a reload.  Cold reboot preferred/better but any reload (except reload FAST) will suffice. 

Unfortunately, everybody will be upgrading from one buggy version to another buggier version.

The picture below is a stack made up of 6 x 9300.  Since running 17.6.4, I have had to reboot the stack every 3 to 4 months due to a memory leak caused by SNMP polling.  However, since upgrading to 17.9.3, the memory leak has drastically slowed down.  

6 x 93006 x 9300

Refer to the TAC recommended versions (below for 9800 WLC) - search similar documents for other platforms.
EG: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-9300-series-switches/214814-recommended-releases-for-catalyst-9200-9.html

And always read the release notes for each release carefully to make sure it's suitable for your hardware and to be aware of any caveats or upgrade restrictions/instructions.  And then TEST before deploying to production network.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card