cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

9800 run initial config dialog over SP port

pwwiddicombe
Level 4
Level 4

Is it possible to run the "first time setup" of a 9800 via the SP port?

For remote site installation, it is sometimes difficcult to set up remote screen share session with a distant site to run the initial dialog; while getting basic access through the SP port was easy

6 Replies 6

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- No because that is a dead-locked situation , the SP needs to be configured with an IP address too and or first

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Actually, interestingly, with NO configuration at all, I can get in with default credentials to the CLI via SP port, which picks up a DHCP address.  Unfortunately, I don't know all the background steps that get done during the setup sequence.

(Oh, and the web GUI at that point indicates the Cisco default account doesn't have adequate permission to run the GUI and logs me off...).  17.3.4c

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

if the SP/MGMT connected to out of band have basic IP config, you can do rest from remote using GUI ?

if else cisco catalyst 9800 like same as Catalyst model config, send the config, some one paste on the console.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Rich R
VIP
VIP

If you have access to it then either copy the full config to startup or paste it into running directly over SSH.  Obviously changing IP you'll lose access doing it on the fly so I'd suggest copy to startup then reload and then you have your fully configured WLC (I'm assuming you already know what config you intend to apply to it).

Actually, if you access via the SP port over SSH/CLI you don't get the setup dialog; but over HTTP you are forced into the GUI-based setup.  I actually didn't want that, and found after setting some of the basic stuff (netconf-yang and restconf) the GUI "considered" the 9800 had passed the basic setup and allowed further setup via either CLI or GUI.

Rich R
VIP
VIP

If I remember correctly once you've set the country code it considers that it's been "configured" and stops trying to force the basic setup.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card