Views
Helpful
Replies

After 2-3 hours users are unable to access to internet - WLC9800+ISE

Scott12
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Community,

I' struggling with this strange case, we have deployed a new WLC 9800 in our company and the migration is going well so far, but now the users are being complating that they are experiencing disconnection from the corporate SSID, they are unable to get internet access or access to other internal web page, for examen payroll system, SAP and so on.

We could notice that the users still having IP address and they can ping the default gateway, DHCP servers and other internal services, but they webpages don't display.

The Corporate SSID is authenticating the users throught 802.1x using Cisco ISE, the behaivor only ocurr on this SSID, the Guest portal and another SSID with PSK are working fine.

Any tought?

Some captures 

Scott12_0-1681858536163.png

Scott12_3-1681858664511.pngScott12_4-1681858681718.png

Thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I think you are okay, because you did not have WPA enabled.  Are you pushing out the profiles to the clients?  Have you checked that to validate the profile?  Does the device authenticate successfully in ISE?

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The WLAN looks okay, but when you say migration, what do you mean?  You have a mix of ap's on older controllers and the new 9800's?  Need a little more info on what you mean by migration.

Also, did you have Fast Transition enabled on the old setup?  You should validate that all setting in the WLAN are the same and don't introduce anything new.

-Scott

Hi, 

Looks like you have some direction when you say only ssid with 802.1x have problem .Probably  Users sessions is getting lost at some point, maybe in the migration. It can be related to NAT table, ARP table or authentication session . Try to disable/enable SSID and/or  reload the AP after hours. 

ammahend
VIP
VIP

show wireless stats trace-on-failure

this should show you most common client failure reasons, however based on your description it does not seem like a wireless issue, something upstream.

Since you are in migration, do you know the last change before issue started ?

-hope this helps-

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Have a checkup review of the WLC 9800 configuration with the CLI command : show tech wireless , have the output analyzed with : https://cway.cisco.com/wireless-config-analyzer/
         Checkout these tools concerning analyzing  clients : https://logadvisor.cisco.com/logadvisor/wireless/9800/9800ClientConnectivity

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Scott12
Level 1
Level 1

Many thanks for your time in responding on this issue,

Regarding the migration before we had a 3506 WLC, we turn off the old wlc and the 2800 series APs, now we are only working with the 9800 WLC and 9100 APs series.
This is odd because we configured the SSID like the old wlc and this behavior only happends with the corporate SSID (802.1x auth with ISE).
I will execute the command that you provide,
another thing, is it possible to get logs regarding these disconnections into the wlc?

You mean you had a 3504 controller?  You migrated to a 9800-L or a different model?  You should really check if your SSID was exactly the same or not, because what I have seen in the past is that SSID's that used WPA+WPA2 has changed to just WPA2 with AES.  If these are Windows machines that are domaines joined or MDM managed, you should review the wireless profile.  

If you want to decipher logs, debug the client Mac address and search online for the "Cisco WLC debug analyzer tool".  If these are Windows machines, you can look at the netsh wlan show wlanreports.  Look that up online for more info and how to run the command on a Windows machine.

-Scott

Yes, that's correct I configured the new 9800 L following the same configuration of 3504. I didn't know the WPA+WPA2 had changed for this new wlc.
I attached the configuration of the 3504 wlc, section WLAN configuration

Scott12_0-1681912599220.png

If I go to WLAN section in 9800 wlc I can see this,

Scott12_1-1681913696642.png

Scott12_2-1681913711549.png

What exactly is the configuration you mention regarding WPA on 9800 wlc?

Regards

I think you are okay, because you did not have WPA enabled.  Are you pushing out the profiles to the clients?  Have you checked that to validate the profile?  Does the device authenticate successfully in ISE?

-Scott

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Also make sure your software version is up to date as per TAC recommended link below:

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card