Replies

AP-9130 does not reset to factory settings using mode button

1. I disconnect the PoE power supply
2. I hold down the MODE button
3. I connect the PoE power supply
4. I hold the MODE button for more than 30 seconds
5. I wait for the AP to start up
krzysztofmaciejewskiit_0-1726161973885.png

After this process, the AP tries to connect to the old WLC, which means the old configuration is still on the AP, and using the console cable I can't do anything because I get this message:
% Authentication failed
No valid user found, please configure a valid user from Controller

===================================================================================================

Another problem is that other APs, which I didn't have to reset to factory settings, just entered the name and IP of the WLC via CLI, are on my WLC in Operation Status = Downloading. I have another AP that I switched from another WLC to the one I'm talking about (by pointing it from the GUI to a different WLC address and resetting the AP) and the AP connected with no problems, and Operation Status = Registered. I didn't configure anything on those APs that are in Downloading state more except IP and WLC name, I did a reset for them after giving them IP and WLC name. The downloading status has been for more than an hour.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

@krzysztofmaciejewskiit wrote:
boardinit axel-qca-single-ng-8_10_130_0.img

I have several 9130 that came with 8.10.130.0 firmware and refused to upgrade.  The TAC documentation is limited to Broadcom APs (911x, 912x) which the 9130 is not a part of. 

After wasting several hours, it was easier for me to just RMA the infernal APs.  

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- For the first item , have look at https://community.cisco.com/t5/wireless/console-is-stuck-there-when-plugging-into-ap/m-p/4397877#M229016

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

The problem is that this AP doesn't connect to the old WLC, so it won't do anything for me to create a user there. I can only try to hold down the button for 20 seconds, this is something I have not tried.... I held 30 seconds the whole time.

- I read reports that sometimes the mode button must be hold longer , try for instance 60 (for testing) ; the original error simply means that the current config was not yet wiped (fully) , hence still waiting for the previous credentials defined on the previous controller.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Resets worked fine, here the problem was my lack of network knowledge as the DHCP pool had option 43 set. As for the reboot, above 60 seconds it is considered an error and the reset to factory settings does not happen.

jagan.chowdam
Spotlight
Spotlight

Also, have you checked Cisco's recommendation on using console cable..

Console access using the console port:

• We recommend the use of one meter or lesser length console cable.

NOTE:  The AP may face issues while booting if you use an unterminated console cable (not plugged into any device or terminal) or a console cable that is more than one meter in length.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/9130ax/quick/guide/ap9130ax-getstart.html

Jagan Chowdam

/**Pls rate useful responses**/

It's good to know that something like this can make a difference, unfortunately I have no way of checking it, but as I mentioned above the problem was my lack of knowledge of the network and option 43 which pointed to the previous WLC making me think the AP wasn't resetting.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Holding down the Mode button does not work. 

The only method is to force the AP to boot into u-boot and execute the factory reset option.

In my case, it worked thankfully. The problem was me and not the AP.

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Also check that the AP isn't getting WLC details from DHCP option 43 or DNS.

And if all else fails completely re-flash the AP using the process and u-boot loader at https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/catalyst-9120axi-access-point/217537-repairing-c9120-c9115-access-points-from.html
Note although the subject only mentions 9120/9115 the software for 9130 is also provided at the download link. (along with 9105 and 9117)

Yes, I also managed to determine that option 43 was enabled on the DHCP pool, this problem was therefore solved.

However, now I will probably have to deal with another problem. Namely, my WLC is version 17.9.5, and my AP is version 8.10.130.0. Won't the AP be able to download the image itself?
krzysztofmaciejewskiit_1-1726259994135.png
I read your reply to another post (https://community.cisco.com/t5/wireless/c9130axi-e-stuck-downloading-image/td-p/4772775) and come to the conclusion that I have to upload it manually. 

Based on the documentation (https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/9800/17-9/release-notes/rn-17-9-9800.html#Cisco_Concept.dita_59a2987f-2633-4630-8c7b-a8e8aecdeaf7) and your post (link above), I should do the 8.10.130.0 -> 8.10.171.0 upgrade first, and then to the target version, which is 8.10.171.0 -> 17.9.5.47 (because that's what my APs that are successfully connected have)?

In another post (https://community.cisco.com/t5/wireless/access-point-9115axi-upgrade-from-8-10-130-0-to-15-3-3-jpr/td-p/5024936) where I also found your answer I see that it should be possible to do the upgrade directly from 8.10.130.0 -> 17.9.5.47 (There is no information about version 8.10.130.0).
krzysztofmaciejewskiit_0-1726259841396.png

I am also wondering what software to download because in the compatibility table they tell me to download 15.3(3)JPN4, and I would expect that I need to download one to match the WLC version (17.9.5), so in my case the APs that knew how to download the software themselves have version 17.9.5.47.
krzysztofmaciejewskiit_5-1726261461343.png
While writing this I realized that 15.3(3)JPN4 = 17.9.5.47 (Cisco...), but I'll leave this part as it may help someone with a similar problem.

Thanks in advance for your help and clarification.

Failed to upgrade AP-9130AXI-E to version 15.3(3)JPN4 (17.9.5.47), because when uploading TFTP software using archive download-sw, there was an error at about 90% that there is no space on the device.

I then wanted to upload the soft from U-Boot, but also could not, I did it like this:
krzysztofmaciejewskiit_0-1726573700446.png
krzysztofmaciejewskiit_1-1726573708490.png
krzysztofmaciejewskiit_5-1726573776430.png
krzysztofmaciejewskiit_3-1726573715865.png

Then, using saveenv, I saved the configuration and did a reset. The update was not happening.
I also tried to fix the U-Boot (https://cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/catalyst-9120axi-access-point/217537-repairing-c9120-c9115-access-points-from.html), but I did not have this command boardinit axel-qca-single-ng-8_10_130_0.img.

Any ideas?

@krzysztofmaciejewskiit wrote:
boardinit axel-qca-single-ng-8_10_130_0.img

I have several 9130 that came with 8.10.130.0 firmware and refused to upgrade.  The TAC documentation is limited to Broadcom APs (911x, 912x) which the 9130 is not a part of. 

After wasting several hours, it was easier for me to just RMA the infernal APs.  

Maybe you are right and I will do the same. I suspect I've already wasted about 15h connecting that one AP, and I have several of those. Thanks.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card