Helpful
Replies

AP C9120AXI-E doesn't get an IP over DHCP or can't ping DefaultGateway

O.K.
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I can't quite understand what the problem here is, here is the situation;

I need to configure and make ready let's say 100s of APs. 
I already configured a Cisco switch with DHCP server on int. 
I'm plugging 10 APs at a time to switch, and until now I tried to configure 22 APs. From these 22 APs 9 can't get an IP address, if I configure them with a static IP the APs can't ping the default gateway (they are in the same network with WLC.) 

If I let the AP in DHCP mode, following output repeats constantly on AP console.

*07/22/2023 00:34:33.7900] ===> Activate Deep Green Mode
[*07/22/2023 00:34:33.7900] bcmswlpbk0 (Ext switch port:  (Logical Port:  Virtual link DOWN
[*07/22/2023 00:34:35.8960] <=== Deactivate Deep Green Mode
[*07/22/2023 00:34:35.8960] bcmswlpbk0 (Ext switch port:  (Logical Port:  Virtual link UP
[*07/22/2023 00:34:35.8960] wired0 (Ext switch port: 7) (Logical Port: 15) (phyId: 1f) Link Up at 1000 mbps full duplex
[*07/22/2023 00:34:50.1460] wired0 (Ext switch port: 7) (Logical Port: 15) (phyId: 1f) Link DOWN.
[*07/22/2023 00:34:50.1460] ===> Activate Deep Green Mode
[*07/22/2023 00:34:50.1460] bcmswlpbk0 (Ext switch port:  (Logical Port:  Virtual link DOWN

So far I've tried to flash a different image, nothing has changed. AP can't get an IP address, and the above messages repeats. It is interesting regarding the switch, an IP address assigned to the AP but on the AP console it is not. 

I've also tried to flash a repair image, as stated here didn't help either AP can't get an IP. 

Additionally, I've tried to set static IP and set the controller IP manually on the AP, APs can't communicate with WLC.

Also note, I'm sure all APs are in CAPWAP mode, not in EWC mode. 

I'm sure there is a problem with APs, but it is very surprising that 9 of 22 didn't work, and I think this is a very high percentage for faulty APs.

Do you have maybe any ideas on it? 

Thanks in advance!

Regards.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

O.K.
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, 

Thank you all of you for the responses. 

The problem was I was so much focussed on the APs. The problem has been solved with a reboot of the switch. 

Thanks again. 

Regards.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- FYI : https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvm96943

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Hi @marce1000 ,

Thank you for the reply. I've also found the bug report only difference my APs are coming with 1000mbps up instead 100, but I can't see any workaround. Do you think only way is RMA? 

Regards.

- It doesn't look like it at first glance (RMA) ; could you swap one of them with those on a  working port/connection (to exclude and or verify possible networking issues) ?

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Hi, 

I configured the switch ports with a range command and well DHCP pool is also valid for all of them but still I tried to swap the switch ports, no luck. 

Regards.

- Check port (error)-counters too , for the  problematic APs 

M.

Thanks for the tip @marce1000, but error counters are at 0 (input&output).

- Factory reset was something I also intended to mention , 

M.

jagan.chowdam
Spotlight
Spotlight

Begin by executing the following commands on the AP:

1. Display a summary of IP interfaces: show ip int brief
  2. Show the CAPWAP IP address: show capwap ip address
  3. View the WLC config details: show capwap client config

On the switch side, confirm the interface status and Power over Ethernet (PoE) status.

Once everything appears to be in order, attempt to perform a factory reset on the AP.

If the AP remains stuck in this state, it may be necessary to contact TAC.

Jagan Chowdam

/**pls rate useful responses**/

Rich R
VIP
VIP

I'd say very unlikely you have so many faulty APs

1. What switch model and software version?
2. How are the ports configured? (show run int Gix/y)
3. Are you sure the DHCP pool has free IPs?  Are you using a pool configured on the switch itself?  Have you configured "no ip dhcp conflict logging"?

O.K.
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, 

Thank you all of you for the responses. 

The problem was I was so much focussed on the APs. The problem has been solved with a reboot of the switch. 

Thanks again. 

Regards.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card