cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AP's disassociate during WLC upgrade

Tony Davis
Level 1
Level 1

I'm upgrading (6) WiSM 1's(12 controllers) from 7.0.98 to 7.0.116.  I've completed 3 controllers total so far, and on every one of them, the AP's disassociate during the upgrade process.  This happens when "Writing new APIB to flash disk"...  How am I supposed to predownload the image to the AP's if they keep disassociating? 

I started a continuous ping to the 3rd upgraded controller before starting the upgrade process.  Ping times were normal, <1ms, in the beginning... then spiked to 30-40ms in the final stages of the upgrade, which is when the AP's disassociated.  Coincidence or cause?

Thanks in advance!

Tony

23 Replies 23

don't disable it but you could extend by maybe 5 seconds. Just remember to put it back when you're done upgrading.

Steve

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Tony

You mentioned this happens during the wlc upgrade. What does this have to do with the predownload.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

If the AP's keep moving to another controller while I'm upgrading the current controller, then I'll never have the opporunity to predownload the image to the AP, which is the whole point of this new feature.  This results in a longer downtime because when the AP moves to a controller that has been upgraded, it has to download a new image and then reboot.

Consider the following scenario:

C1 has 40 AP's, running 7.0.98

C2 has 30 AP's, running 7.0.98

Upgrade software on C1 to 7.0.116, AP's move to C2 before having chance to predownload image to AP's

C1 has 0 AP's, running 7.0.116

C2 has 70 AP's, running 7.0.98

Upgrade C2 to 7.0.116, AP's disassociate and join C1, now has to download image(couldn't predownload) and reload

Is that more clear?

If you don't reboot the WLC until all are upgraded, it shouldn't be a problem.  Even if the AP move, they hit a WLC with the code they are running and won't download by default.  Then once all WLC are upgraded you can run the pre-download command, wait for that to finish, then do rolling reboots, or wait till 2am and reboot them all. 

All depends on what you can do inside your organization WRT the rebooting of the individual WLC.

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Yeah, I thought about this about 4 controllers into the 12 controller upgrade.  I fight my way through it at this point.  Thanks for the help guys!

Tony,

Its very clear, but thats not the advisable process. You will have a mess on your hands for sure. I have 40 WLCs and the upgrade process is just that a process.

1. You upgrade the WLCs

2. After upgrade you then push the code to the AP

3. You then swap the code on the aps to primary

4. Then you reboot all controllers

Thats why you are having problems.

I blogged about this process. This may help you better understand the process.

http://www.my80211.com/cisco-wlc-cli-commands/2011/2/20/wlc-predownload-the-image-to-the-access-points-from-the-cont.html

I need my morning coffee

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

I'll be sure to remember this next time!  Upgrade all controllers first, THEN reboot.

Trust me I (we) all learned this the hardway!

btw -- Thank you for supporting the rating system