Views
Helpful
Replies

AP1562D - Wireless Bridge Maximum Distance

ksbolton1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all.

I'd like to use two Aironet 1562D APs to form a wireless bridge between two locations that are around 1000ft apart. They're divided by a river and some trees but at certain heights I can see my ideal mounting points, and those are too low, I'm prepared to use stanchions to get them higher.

First question, what is the maximum distance that the 1562D AP can effectively form a bridge over? I'd like to give an expected bandwidth for traffic using the link but I don't have a solid number in mind. Would 20Mbps be possible?

Second question, is there some sort of calculator we can use to work out this distance? I've found one for the 1552 but it does seem to be out of date.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I've done a 7km link using the very old 1310's using 2.4Ghz.  I'm sure this model which is probably 3 generations newer could do 300m.

You just need to get the alignment right (vertically and horizontally - last time I used a 360 degree pivot mounting bracket).  When I did it I couldn't see the other end, so I used a hand held GPS to get the alignment about right and then gently nudged it till the signal was strongest.

I see their is a pole mount option that supports tilt.  I would go for that - but then I like having lots of adjustable options to get it "just right".

AIR-ACC1530-PMK2=

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/aironet-1560-series/guide-c07-737428.html

I could see you getting 100Mb/s.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I've done a 7km link using the very old 1310's using 2.4Ghz.  I'm sure this model which is probably 3 generations newer could do 300m.

You just need to get the alignment right (vertically and horizontally - last time I used a 360 degree pivot mounting bracket).  When I did it I couldn't see the other end, so I used a hand held GPS to get the alignment about right and then gently nudged it till the signal was strongest.

I see their is a pole mount option that supports tilt.  I would go for that - but then I like having lots of adjustable options to get it "just right".

AIR-ACC1530-PMK2=

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/aironet-1560-series/guide-c07-737428.html

I could see you getting 100Mb/s.

Wow, thank you very much for your quick and informative answer. I'll move forward a bit more confidently knowing this. The thought of an adjustable pivot bracket is really a bonus as I hadn't begun thinking of that yet.

Take a look at the bridge calculator to give you some idea.  

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/aironet-350-series/18860-outdoor-br-utility-calc.html

1000' should not be an issue as long as you can achieve the height needed to get clear line of sight.  There are many fresnel zone calculators out there that you can use:

http://wisptools.net/tools-fresnel.php

Alignment is the key and a strong mount in case you are in a place where you have high winds.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hello,

We are hoping to use a pair of 1562E's for this type of application - is there a simple config available to prove the link before we deploy for real. I assume one end needs to be a master>? 

These radios do not support autonomous mode to be capable of doing a "traditional" Root/Non-Root bridge. You can supposedly do Mesh mode though as long as you have a controller. Mobility Express does NOT support this.

Dennis Kline
Level 1
Level 1

Like Philip, I have used bridge links running several miles.  Obviously, the throughput suffers as you stretch the link distance out...  At 2.4 GHz, I currently have a wifi bridge that is approx 500 ft, running at 15 mb/s. 

I have not used the 1562, but I'm thinking your target of 20mb/s is perhaps a little optimistic... but maybe not. 

.....dennis.kline@yahoo.com...(It takes an Act of God to fade a wireless path, but any fool with a backhoe can cut fiber)
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card