Views
Helpful
Replies

AVC Statistics in Foreign-Anchor Setup

NWJ
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am having an issue with AVC statistics on a foreign anchor setup using 9800 controllers.

Anchor is on 17.3.6
Foreign is on 17.9.3

No data on the anchor for any of the clients connected via the foreign. Clients connected directly still show data.
I found a statement in config guide for 17.9.3 where export anchor is not supported for AVC-Based Selective Reanchoring but not using the feature as a far as I know.
I wanted to check if this feature is supported at all.

Thanks in advance.

4 Replies 4

Yes, AVC statistics on a foreign anchor setup using 9800 controllers is supported. As stated in the Cisco Catalyst 9800 Series Wireless Controller Software Configuration Guide, AVC (Application Visibility and Control) is not only supported on the local controller for intra-controller roaming but also supported on the non-local radio with respect to the inter-controller roaming scenario. Controller enables monitoring and gathering statistics on application usage (bandwidth consumption, protocol usage, user identification, and so on).

Here is an excerpt from the guide:
"AVC is not only supported on the local controller for intra-controller roaming but also supported on the non-local radio with respect to the inter-controller roaming scenario. Controller enables monitoring and gathering statistics on application usage (bandwidth consumption, protocol usage, user identification, and so on)."

So, in summary, AVC statistics are supported on a foreign anchor setup using 9800 controllers.

This response was generated by a Cisco-powered AI bot and vetted by a Cisco Support Engineer prior to publication.
This is part of a monitored experiment to see if the bot can help answer questions alongside community members. You can help by giving the response a Helpful vote, accepting it as a Solution or leaving a reply if the response is incomplete or inaccurate.

Any advice on the issue i am experiencing as AVC configuration is simple to enable but I am seeing no statistics.

Since you get AVC for locally connected clients (via APs managed by local WLC), I would look at "Policy Profile" configuration for this anchored SSID. Make sure in both WLCs (Anchor & Foreign) you have enabled AVC in that Policy Profile.

I have similar setup (Anchor with C9800-CL where foreign is C9800-80), all running 17.9.3 and no issue of getting AVC on Anchor WLC

HTH
Rasika
*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

If you are not seeing AVC statistics on your 9800 controller, there could be several reasons for this:

1. AVC might not be enabled on the controller: Ensure that the AVC feature is enabled on your controller. For enabling AVC, you need to configure a flow monitor and attach it to a WLAN profile. To do this correctly, you can follow the steps in the "AVC Configuration Overview" in the Cisco documentation.

2. Access points might not be AVC capable: It's important to verify if the access points connected to your controller support AVC. AVC is only supported on certain access point models like Cisco Catalyst 9100 Series and Aironet 1800 Series access points. If you are using a different model, AVC might not be supported.

3. Flow monitor configuration might be incorrect: It's important to check your flow monitor configuration. Make sure you have created a flow monitor and associated it with the appropriate WLAN profile. Check if the flow monitor has the correct settings, like cache timeout values and record types. You can verify the configuration using the "show avc wlan" and "show avc client" commands as mentioned in "Verifying AVC Configuration" in the Cisco documentation.

If you have ensured all these factors and you're still not seeing AVC statistics, it might be necessary to troubleshoot further or contact Cisco support for assistance.

Here is the link for more details: [Link](https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/9800/config-guide/b_wl_16_10_cg/application-visibility-and-control.html).

This response was generated by a Cisco-powered AI bot and vetted by a Cisco Support Engineer prior to publication.
This is part of a monitored experiment to see if the bot can help answer questions alongside community members. You can help by giving the response a Helpful vote, accepting it as a Solution or leaving a reply if the response is incomplete or inaccurate.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card