Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

C9800-CL

I am currently in the process of deploying C9800CL on my on-premises ESXi machine running version 7.0.3. Unfortunately, I have encountered issues while attempting to import the OVA file.

Could someone please provide information on the compatibility of C9800CL with ESXi 7.0.3? Any insights or guidance on successfully importing the OVA file would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your assistance. based on cisco SW release I see the attached input, is there is anyway to get the C9800CL on  ESXi version 7.0.3?

IbrahimElbagouri57340_0-1702474623784.png

10 Replies 10

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Esxi 7.0 is compatable :  .3 is small changes that should be be an issue at all.

make sure you have right compute requirement and download another copy of OVA and install.

what is the Error you getting while installing, some screenshot help here to understand the issue.

i am sure you come across this document, incase not that help you :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/catalyst-9800-cl-wireless-controller-cloud/nb-06-cat9800-cl-wirel-cloud-dep-guide-cte-en.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- This can also depend on the particular 9800CL image version  you are trying to install (?). Furthermore , what are the issues that you are encountering ?

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

I tried with the image 17.4.1 & 17.9.4a without success. do you know any image which compatibale with ESXI version  7.0.3.?

we receive the error "failed."

- I would suggest that you verify the consistency of your ESXi installation by trying to install and configure another VM on the current platform. You l may also try to import the ISO instead of the OVA.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You should have no issues because I run that same ESXi version on my home lab.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Make sure you check the hash after you download, that can be the issue you are having.  Also try to download from a different browser and give that a try.

-Scott

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

For some reason I was unable to edit my previous post.  I was able to download a few ova's including the latest and create a vm successfully.  Go through the 9800-CL guide and make sure you make all the required recommended changes.

-Scott

Thanks for your input, may I ask you which ESXi version are you unsing?

Here is the version I'm on: 7.0.3.01700

-Scott

Rich R
VIP
VIP

You should not use 17.4.1 as it's a limited support release - so will never get any bug fixes.
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/ios-nx-os-software/ios-xe-17/eos-eol-notice-c51-2442351.html

17.9.4a is currently recommended by TAC - always refer to the TAC recommended link below.
Cisco recommends 17.9.4 + SMU_CSCwh87343 + APSP (as needed) OR 17.9.4a + APSP(as needed) for all deployments.

As BB & Scott said your ESXi version should be fine as per the release notes for 17.9:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/9800/17-9/release-notes/rn-17-9-9800.html#Cisco_Concept.dita_c9f5f62c-3813-4ab2-9365-71d583c3a462

As Scott says you should check the exact file size and the MD5 and/or SHA512 hash for the downloaded file to make sure it is not corrupted and then follow the instructions in the deployment guide carefully.  Note that there are specific settings required in ESXi for 9800-CL to work.  Also refer to the Best Practice guide (link below) for more guidance.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card