Views
Helpful
Replies

change the ip state of AP from DHCP to static on WLC 9800

DavidZhang47328
Level 1
Level 1

Hi experts,

I know the way to change the IP state on "general-IP Config", but my query is that can we do that for all the APs on WLC together?I have hundreds of APs.  Additionally, the DHCP server is in Linux server, not on the WLC. Thanks in advance.

DavidZhang47328_0-1704785809053.png

6 Replies 6

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That is not possible to change all the AP address one go ?

what is the need of the IP change of AP ?

If you like to change the all the AP IP address, you need to reboot the AP to take effective.

Best is  - do  a  static reservation in the Linux DHCP and reboot the AP one at a time to get new Static reservation IP.

Note : personally i would not use static IP for AP, but if that is requirement you can use it the way looking to do. when you change the AP due to fault make sure you update the MAC address in reservation.

even Linux DHCP still you can reserve the static IP reservation.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

I want to , but I don't have the access to manage the Linux server....

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Why would you want static address for APs ; DHCP is  a standard method for  allocating an address to  APs too

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

we have the monitor team, they need the static ip for APs....

Ruben Cocheno
Spotlight
Spotlight

@DavidZhang47328 

If you change the config to static on the WLC, it will push the config out to every AP. Now you can change all APs in one go using the CLI onf the WLC.

I personally prefer to use reserved IPs on the DHCP and assign them that way.

Tag me to follow up.
Please mark it as Helpful and/or Solution Accepted if that is the case. Thanks for making Engineering easy again.
Connect with me for more on Linkedin https://www.linkedin.com/in/rubencocheno/

@Ruben Cocheno wrote:

@DavidZhang47328 

If you change the config to static on the WLC, it will push the config out to every AP. Now you can change all APs in one go using the CLI onf the WLC.

I personally prefer to use reserved IPs on the DHCP and assign them that way.

May I know which CLI we can use here?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card