Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 9800 Day 0 - unable to reach GUI, no DHCP

Hustinette
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,
I am trying to setup a Cisco C9800 LC and I'm getting stuck in the very beginning on the Day-0 config.
Tutorials and manuals state I should be able to receive an IP address from the device and then be able to access it via browser. 
No IP address is assigned from any port on the device and I also cannot get a connection when manually configuring my NIC (192.168.1.x)

When I go through the CLI Day 0 setup, I then cannot access, or even ping the device on the port configured / any port configured.

I hope it's something simple and stupid as I am running out of ideas, it being this early in the setup process.

6 Replies 6

Hi @Hustinette 

Did you try with console cable on the console port ?

FlavioMiranda_0-1692221700256.png

Hi Flavio,
Yes, the console port has been tried (USB-serial) for Day 0 setup after exhausting the options on the regular ports. (Still would like to know why this is not working.)
After configuring the device, it remains inaccessible. 

It should work.  You may have a faulty device and should consider tac. 

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Did you follow this guide?
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/9800/9800-L/installation-guide/b-wlc-ig-9800-L/Power-Up-and-Initial-Configuration.html
The 9800 runs IOS-XE so it's fundamentally similar to any other Cisco switch or router running IOS in the basic config required to connect to it.

Yes, that is what I used after attempting to connect to it outside of the CLI. No luck.
Factory reset has been performed between attempts to make sure there is no funky config left.

- Normally you could also make a basic network configuration on it too using the console (skipping the day-0 process) , if the console does not work either (and or after factory reset) , then it smells like a hardware problem. Check if the console displays outputs during cold start and or factory reset (e.g.)

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card