Helpful
Replies

Cisco 9800 HA RMI+RP Mobility

J_Vansen_S
Level 3
Level 3

Hi All, 

WLC 9800 17.6.4

How we do configure Mobility Group on a WLC HA setup? 

We have two units of WLC configured as HA with RMI+RP, thus we manage WLC on a single WLC active ip address & config is auto replicated to standby WLC. 

Is peer mobility config not needed since it is already a HA setup? 

We tried test configuring it anyway to point peer mac address to standby WLC unit with its standby RMI ip address, however we are getting Status "Control and Data Path Down"

Appreciate any advise

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

marce1000
VIP
VIP

>....We tried test configuring it anyway

- You don't need peer mobility config in this HA setup , check intended (/final) configuration  of the (active) 9800 with the CLI command : show  tech   wireless , have the output analyzed by  https://cway.cisco.com/tools/WirelessAnalyzer/  , please note do not use classical show tech-support (short version) , use the command denoted in green for Wireless Analyzer.               Checkout all advisories!

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

View solution in original post

Since both WLCs shared single management IP address those 2 units won't act as two individual WLCs. Therefore you cannot configure these two units individually  (same config shared by both units). 

In short, no mobility configuration needed between Active/standby units.

HTH
Rasika
*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

marce1000
VIP
VIP

>....We tried test configuring it anyway

- You don't need peer mobility config in this HA setup , check intended (/final) configuration  of the (active) 9800 with the CLI command : show  tech   wireless , have the output analyzed by  https://cway.cisco.com/tools/WirelessAnalyzer/  , please note do not use classical show tech-support (short version) , use the command denoted in green for Wireless Analyzer.               Checkout all advisories!

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Thank you for the confirmation. No peer mobility needed in HA setup that is!

Since both WLCs shared single management IP address those 2 units won't act as two individual WLCs. Therefore you cannot configure these two units individually  (same config shared by both units). 

In short, no mobility configuration needed between Active/standby units.

HTH
Rasika
*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card