Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco AIR-AP3802E-E-Z-K9 does not connect by console cable

JoseRafael2890
Level 1
Level 1
Hello.

the customer bought a lot of Cisco AIR-AP3802E-E-Z-K9 APs but it came with a firmware version higher than the controller, so they can't communicate.
I tried to connect via console cable, but without success.
I tried the types of cables provided and nothing.

I need to connect via console to downgrade the firmware version.

Thank you very much in advance.
config putty.jpg
console USB.jpgseria x USB.jpg

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Unlikely that both those cables would be a problem but there are some cables and windows drivers that will not work with APs even though they work with routers etc so try another cable type if you can and check for driver updates or alternate drivers for your cable.  This one works for me: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07MYQPYKR/using the FTDI driver version 2.12.28.0 (16/08/2017)

View solution in original post

perfect, the problem was the console cable, the correct cable needs to have the FTDI chip, if it's a simple cable, it doesn't connect to the AP.
thank you so much for everyone's support.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

I have already tested the cables in other network equipment and they connect normally

May be used one (not sure if that may gone bad) all the AP same ? status ?

Rset AP and check. ( if not then you need to use different baud rate and test it)

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

I have already reset the ap, I have tried all speeds in teraterm, without success.

Maybe that is the reason I don't trust the used one, now you back to the vendor who sold and show the problem, see if the seller can do something for you.

On another note, I do not believe all AP go wrong, no console access (this is not possible) - until all are the same issue that is reason sold in the used market.

I am sure you testing using the console port - we do see people do mistakes connecting different ports, check the installation guide for Console port (3)

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/3800/quick/guide/ap3800iepgetstart.html

If the mode button is pressed for more than 30 seconds but less than 60 seconds, the FIPS mode flag is also cleared during the full factory reset of the AP. The FIPS flag when set disables console access.

The AP status LED changes from Amber to Red, and all the files in the AP storage directory are cleared.

If you keep the mode button pressed for more than 60 seconds, the mode button is assumed faulty and no changes are made.

Troubleshooting the Access Point to Cisco Controller Join Process

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thanks,

I will be contacting the supplier and as soon as I have news I will return here.

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Unlikely that both those cables would be a problem but there are some cables and windows drivers that will not work with APs even though they work with routers etc so try another cable type if you can and check for driver updates or alternate drivers for your cable.  This one works for me: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07MYQPYKR/using the FTDI driver version 2.12.28.0 (16/08/2017)

perfect, the problem was the console cable, the correct cable needs to have the FTDI chip, if it's a simple cable, it doesn't connect to the AP.
thank you so much for everyone's support.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card