cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Aironet 1830i firmware Upgrade

prashant3110c
Level 1
Level 1

We have a Cisco Aironet 1830i access point. It has 8.2.100.0 firmware version and we tried to update to 8.5.105.0 and 8.6.101.0. We have created TFTP point and tried updated firmware. Every time we try preimage download starts and attempts several times to complete but never does. We also tried HTTP method and same results.

Let me know if I was missing something. Is there any other method to upgrade firmware?

42 Replies 42

Hi Scott,

I tried everything, with just the zip (that went no where fast) with the files extracted to the same folder as my TFTP program (and I tried several different TFTP programs in 32 and 64 bit flavours, in Windows 7 and Windows 10).  I checked the MD5 hash and the download is good.  I extracted it again to another folder and compared the contents bit by bit and the files are good.

I thought about trying HTTP but I can't enable that option, plus I read that the only recommended was was TFTP via the GUI, Cisco doesn't like the CLI method (which fails at the same place with the same error, ie at the end of the first file transfer).

Note the AP works and clients can connect to it, but it drops connections randomly and the speed and performance is poor.  My client has an old WAP571 (cheaper business class AP) and that runs circles around the 1832i, that shouldn't be the case.  I figured a FW update would correct known issues with the 1832 with 8.1.x, but I can't get the FW to update.

I'm really tempted to throw out the fancy enterprise class Aironet and pick up another WAP571 as I have to make my client happy.  They have been very patient but I can't press my luck any longer or I risk losing a good customer.

It is crazy that I've blown a week on this.  It must be a HW issue.

Thanks again for all your help and ideas.

I’m not a fan of the Mobility Express. It’s simple, only once you get it working. The upgrades are a pain to be honest. For smaller installs, have you looked at Meraki at all?
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Meraki was my first suggestion.

Especially since I do work for another client who has a Meraki MX-65 and MR-33.  The president of this company is the brother of the president of the other client, so I figured he would also go for the Meraki solution too.

Problem is this company has more users so I'd have to bump up to the MX-84 which has a big price jump.  This client also prefers to pay once and avoid licenses.  That is why I got them the ASA5506 instead of the Meraki.  They also don't want to monitor their staff.  I know, bad idea, but it is their call.

This place is one big wide open area.  It is maybe 130 feet long by 30 feet wide with no walls of posts. Most stations are wired, but the staff is young and they want Spotify on their iPhone and want to update social media. 

I thought Meraki would be perfect, but management is ok with letting their staff do that as they want them to be happy.

I see their point and want a happy client.

Yeah.. you have to go with what the customer wants.
-Scott

I just tried Filezilla Server but got nowhere.  I admit that while I have used the client many times, I am not familiar with the server side.  The IE interface for the AP pops up too many certificate and revocation windows with Filezilla so I gave up.

If you read all the messages from the past week, I've really really tried everything.  I think it is time to pack it up, seal the box and call UPS for the RMA.

Thanks for all your help!

I just tried your idea of the old 3com TFTP but while it starts, it fails like the other TFTP and CLI methods.

I will give Filezilla server a chance as my last test.

I had the AP in the box and have a label printed and was about to seal it, but I'll try your idea.

The TFTP below starts fine, but at the end of the first file, it fails and sets the retry count to 7, counts down and then fails and aborts.

I suspect there is a hw issue with the memory inside the AP.

Tftp-error12.JPG

FTP isn’t supported on Mobility Express. The bad piece is that on 8.2, http is supported which is easier. It almost seems like the AP image is corrupt since it’s failing.
-Scott

Hi Scott,

I agree, a corrupted image would explain things.  Time to give up and use the RMA they sent me last night.

Thanks again for all your help!

Richard

I waited 2 weeks and finally received the new AP-1832i-A-K9. 

I powered up the AP and waited 10+ minutes, but didn't see any SSID.

So, I used a pin to reset the AP (released after LED turned RED, around 21 sec) and tried again.  Still nothing.

I connected a cable to the console port and used PuTTY to see what is happening.

I see it booting, it show the button is pressed and released, but I never get any SSID.

With CLI, I can login (Cisco/Cisco), it shows firmware 8.2.151.0

One would think they'd send me back a unit with at leasy 8.5.x.x.

I'm not sure what to do now?

- Throw out the unit and buy either a lower end WAP-571

- Buy an AP from a competitor

- Upgrade the firmware via CLI?Clipboard01.jpg

Any suggestions?

Oh darn. I would try to do the upgrade, but I probably wouldn't spend to much time and swear at Cisco if it doesn't work.
At least it's a fairly recent 8.2 release, that means you should probably be able to make the upgrade.

I reopened the case and from my details, Cisco determined the replacement have an image that requires a separate controller.  I needed an image with Mobility Express.  The tech emailed me links to the updates.

Turns out you cannot update directly from 8.2.x->8.8.x

The sent me updates for...

IOS 8.2.x -> 8.3.x

IOS 8.3.x -> 8.5.x

IOS 8.5.x -> 8.8.x

Each one had to be done in sequence, reboot, and test if the update was applied, then go to the next step.

Finally, I have the AP at the current 8.8.x version and it seems to work well at my office.

I plan on installing it at my client's site today and that will be the big test as 30-40 wifi clients will jump on it as soon as it boot.

Thanks for all your help!

One little thing, I suggest you now do another factory reset and make a fresh configuration, so that no legacy configuration remains. That is if you have the time to.

idoek
Level 1
Level 1

I know it is an old post - but in case someone still have this issue - I have used TFTPD64 with PXE compatibility and that solved my problem. The file was copied to the access point in less than a minute.

Cisco and TFTPD64.png

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card