Helpful
Replies

Cisco Aironet 1850 Series Access Points - AVAILABILITY for Purchase

michaelgitonga
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Question to the Cisco teams.

1. When are the new Cisco Aironet 1850 Series Access Points available for purchase. I can't find them on Cisco CCW
  2. Are they backward compatible with IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n??
2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Freerk Terpstra
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Michael,

1. I can't tell you this, maybe your VAR or Cisco AM can give you an estimate. However, I can tell you from my own experience that if you want an stable solution which is also fast delivered you can better go with the 2700 or 3700 AP's. Both are positioned higher than the 1850 anyways.
2. All 802.11AC access-points should be backwords compatible with the older standards. But if you want to experience more performance you should get rid of at least the 802.11b clients and also disable those data-rates.

View solution in original post

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Cisco's practice is 4 weeks after announcement and it will be FCS (first customer shipment).  If you have access to CCW then this SKU will be made available in the next few days but it will be classified as NPH (new product, HOLD).  This means you can order but you won't get a definite shipping out date or availability details.

Besides, why hurry?  No one (unless you're one of the beta testers) can use the 1850 in production yet because the code to support the 1850 is not yet available.  It will be made available a few days (24- or 48 hours) before the 1850 FCS date.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Freerk Terpstra
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Michael,

1. I can't tell you this, maybe your VAR or Cisco AM can give you an estimate. However, I can tell you from my own experience that if you want an stable solution which is also fast delivered you can better go with the 2700 or 3700 AP's. Both are positioned higher than the 1850 anyways.
2. All 802.11AC access-points should be backwords compatible with the older standards. But if you want to experience more performance you should get rid of at least the 802.11b clients and also disable those data-rates.

Thank you.

Thank you.

No problem. You help others with selecting the reply as "correct Answer", thanks!

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Cisco's practice is 4 weeks after announcement and it will be FCS (first customer shipment).  If you have access to CCW then this SKU will be made available in the next few days but it will be classified as NPH (new product, HOLD).  This means you can order but you won't get a definite shipping out date or availability details.

Besides, why hurry?  No one (unless you're one of the beta testers) can use the 1850 in production yet because the code to support the 1850 is not yet available.  It will be made available a few days (24- or 48 hours) before the 1850 FCS date.

Thank you.

The info I can provide is that the 1850 is a 1k series AP.  So this is a product to really replace the 1702, 1602 access points.  This AP is Cisco's 1st Wave 2 AP but only supports 80mhz channel width. There is limitations also right now as it is only supported in the beta v8.1, so that means when it ships (FCS), you will have to have v8.1MR2 on your WLC's.  The number of modes are limited to for now on the 1850 to local and monitor mode.

Hope this helps.

-Scott

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Scott,

Thanks. I will go for the Cisco 3700e AP. Also. One thing with the 3700 is that if I put say, the Wireless Security & Spectrum Intelligence Module, I can't put a WAVE 2 module in future.

That is correct. Only one module can be used. 

-Scott

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Scott, where have you heard the WLC will be built in, my understanding was the Mobility Express bundle simply included a CT2504 in the BoM on CCW?

If it did include the WLC it would be competing with Meraki (as well as Aruba IAP) so I would be surprised if Cisco went down that route.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card