Helpful
Replies

Cisco AP IOS update boot variable

heyjunsun
Level 1
Level 1

hello 

I'm looking at this link and updating the IOS using the CLI method

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/9800/17-2/config-guide/b_wl_17_2_cg/b_wl_17_2_cg_chapter_010010111.html

It was successful up to step two, but in step three, the " boot system flash bootflash:pakcages.conf " 

Even if you do it, it looks like a picture from show boot

heyjunsun_1-1705553320328.png

" boot system flash bootflash:pakcages.conf "   "boot system ap1g7-k9w8-tar.153-3.JPR.tar"  

I tried both
Is there a guide for the IOS version that I install?

heyjunsun_0-1705553253460.png

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Use the following command: 

archive download-sw /no-reload tftp://<IP ADDRESS>/filename.tar

The process with automatically change the boot variable.

May I ask you another question?

I changed to CAPWAP mode to the version I'm using now, but I want to use CAPWAP-ME to set the AP in a question-and-answer manner

1. Can I set it to the CAPWAP-ME version?

2.1. If I can't set it up, what are the advantages of CAPWAP mode over EWC mode?

Mobility Express (ME) means the AP acts like an AP but also a simplified WLC.  

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Let's clarify some things ...

WLC (or EWC for 9xxx APs, Mobility Express only applies to the older Wave 2 APs) runs IOS-XE.  The boot variable settings you showed in your screenshot are for WLC running IOS-XE not AP.

APs run AP-COS - a completely different OS.  You should not be trying to set the boot variable manually on the AP and certainly not to packages.conf which only applies to IOS-XE in install mode on WLC.  As Leo says when you use the correct command to install the AP update it will automatically update the AP boot configuration which is nothing like IOS-XE.

If you've got the AP into an unrecoverable state then I suggest you follow https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/catalyst-9120axi-access-point/217537-repairing-c9120-c9115-access-points-from.html to completely re-flash the AP to 8.10.130.0 software.  Then upgrade it to 8.10.190.0 CAPWAP software then upgrade to your 17.13.1 image.  Then you can do the EWC conversion if you want to run WLC on the AP.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card