Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B-EDU

JG1418
Level 1
Level 1

Good afternoon,

I recently purchased a Catalyst C9130AXI-B-EDU access point. How do I configure it in stand alone mode? 

21 Replies 21

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Standalone for these models means converting to Embedded Wireless Controller :
                     https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/embedded-wireless-controller-on-catalyst-access-points/215303-embedded-wireless-controller-conversion.html

It will then be able to function as an AP too , besides being a controller , 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

JG1418
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Marce1000, 

Thank you for your reply and guidance. 

Per the instructions it explains "Contents of the extracted zip file must be copied to a TFTP server." where do I find the zip file? The image file, per the table would be "ap1g6a"

Thank you again!

JG1418
Level 1
Level 1

I was able to download the configuration file on the cisco software page. However, how do I set the path of the AP so its able to find the file on my computer? I downloaded FTP software just need assistance with creating the correct path.

JG1418
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you Marce1000. 

I think I figured it out, below are the steps I took

Step 1:

Reference the following article:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/embedded-wireless-controller-on-catalyst-access-points/215303-embedded-wireless-controller-conversion.html

Step 2:

Download the EWC software from:

Software.cisco.com

Step 3:

Download TFTP software

Step 4:

Extract the zip file into a folder and setup the TFTP software

Step 5:

Modify the TFTP IP address in the input via CLI ap-type ewc-ap tftp://192.168.1.(xxx)/ap1g6a tftp://192.168.1.(xxx)/C9800-AP-iosxe-wlc.bin

Step 6:

Sit back and watch the magic!

Use TFTP server to transfer AP and EWC images to Catalyst 9100, then convert Catalyst 9100 to Access Point and Embedded Wireless Controller

JG1418
Level 1
Level 1

Marce, Thank you again.

I have a few issues:

First, I had the AP up and running with a solid "GREEN" LED light, and a "BLUE" LED light once I connected my phone. For some reason the AP is now blinking "RED and GREEN" but, I am still able to connect to the internet. 

Second, per the GUI and the Cisco Catalyst Wireless Smartphone App, it shows the WLANS I created but, it does not show anything under "Access Points" or "Wireless Clients" 

Third, I received the following errors  via the EWC GUI 

Critical *Jun  8 18:39:54.618: %QUEUE-2-LINKED : Chassis 1 Bad queue_enqueue of ab3e6a04 in queue ab1ab91c
Criticaliosd*Jun  8 18:39:53.886: %PKI-2-NON_AUTHORITATIVE_CLOCK: PKI functions can not be initialized until an authoritative time source, like NTP, can be obtained.

Thank you in advance for your assistance! 

>... Chassis 1 Bad queue_enqueue of ab3e6a04 in queue ab1ab91c
                   https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCwe21876

>...PKI functions can not be initialized until an authoritative time source, like NTP, can be obtained.
            Make sure to configure an NTP server on the EWC AP  ,

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

JG1418
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you, I fixed the time added a couple of servers in addition to the ones provided by the EWC. Also configured daylight savings

JG1418_0-1717913256955.png

Do you happen to know why the AP is blinking Green and Red and not a solid blue or green?

>....Do you happen to know why the AP is blinking Green and Red and not a solid blue or green?
        - Might be due to insufficient power , post  output of : show power inline gigabitEthernet1/2 detail
          This from the switch where the particular AP port is connected to , of course replace the interface name (blue) accordingly

M.

JG1418
Level 1
Level 1

I'm using a Cisco Aironet POE injector (AIR-PWRINJ6=) What would the output post within the "Command Line Interface" of the EWC?

Thank you again Marce.

>...I'm using a Cisco Aironet POE injector (AIR-PWRINJ6=)
  - Should be ok for powering ; also check the configuration with the CLI command show tech wireless and feed
     the output from that into Wireless Config Analyzer

M.

JG1418
Level 1
Level 1

Marce, 

Thank you again for all your assistance! I think initially, after I added the EWC to the AP. I didn't correctly configure it. I found this video which helped me a great deal.

Web-based - Cisco EWC AP Day0 Provisioning-WebUI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvCJTGAO5_c

Wireless App - Cisco EWC AP Day0 Provisioning-WebUI 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5-gC324Uog

Everything seems to be working very well! I might connect another AP for better coverage at a later time. 

Simple and easy day-zero over the air provisioning (OTAP) of EWC through web-ui.
This video shows how to provision and manage Cisco Embedded Wireless Controller on Catalyst C9100 Series APs through Cisco Catalyst Wireless app

JG1418
Level 1
Level 1

One issue. We had a power outage this morning, and all the WLANS (using WPA2 - Personal) lost their passwords.

I had to add them all back and now everything works again. What would cause that? 

SETTINGS:

WPA2 Policy = On

WPA2 Encryption = AES(CCMP128)

PSK Format = ASCII

PSK Type = Unencrypted

Pre-Shared Key* = (All WLAN Passwords were lost and WLANS were all disabled)

JG1418_0-1718154240860.png

- Make sure to save the controller configuration always after making changes , 

M.

JG1418
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you for your reply Marce,

I usually do, I went ahead and clicked save a couple of time. I plan on pulling the plug this weekend to see if it holds the settings. I will let you know either way.

Thank you again.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card