Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Switch and Wi-Fi newest firmware.

Michaelvo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

we recently acquired a Cisco network with several Switches, Access Points and a Wireless Controller.

It would be very helpful if somebody could confirm my findings:

Wireless Controller - Model 5508

- This unit is end of life and end of support, highest possible firmware is 8.5.x.

Access Point - Model AIR-AP3802I-E-K9

- This unit is in support until October 2027

- Currently cannot upgrade because has to be same firmware level as the controller

- Can I upgrade directly from the current firmware to the new one? 8.5.x -> 8.10.x

Switch - Model WS-C3650-48PD

- This unit is in support until October 2026

Switch - Model WS-C3850-24XS

- No end of support date yet

Thanks to anyone who can confirm this!

Regards, Michael

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

marce1000
VIP
VIP

>...Can I upgrade directly from the current firmware to the new one? 8.5.x -> 8.10.x
 - If the AP is a client and or connected to the controller , then it can only go as far as the 5508 with software versions , (because it must sync with the controller)

The version on the  switches is not important 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

View solution in original post

ammahend
VIP
VIP

- This unit is end of life and end of support, highest possible firmware is 8.5.x. : Correct

- This unit is in support until October 2027 : Correct

- Currently cannot upgrade because has to be same firmware level as the controller

- Can I upgrade directly from the current firmware to the new one? 8.5.x -> 8.10.x, Not on 5508 Controller, as mentioned by marce1000

Switch - Model WS-C3650-48PD

- This unit is in support until October 2026 : Correct

Switch - Model WS-C3850-24XS

- No end of support date yet : Correct.

-hope this helps-

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

marce1000
VIP
VIP

>...Can I upgrade directly from the current firmware to the new one? 8.5.x -> 8.10.x
 - If the AP is a client and or connected to the controller , then it can only go as far as the 5508 with software versions , (because it must sync with the controller)

The version on the  switches is not important 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

ammahend
VIP
VIP

- This unit is end of life and end of support, highest possible firmware is 8.5.x. : Correct

- This unit is in support until October 2027 : Correct

- Can I upgrade directly from the current firmware to the new one? 8.5.x -> 8.10.x, Not on 5508 Controller, as mentioned by marce1000

Switch - Model WS-C3650-48PD

- This unit is in support until October 2026 : Correct

Switch - Model WS-C3850-24XS

- No end of support date yet : Correct.

-hope this helps-

Michaelvo
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you both for your quick reply. I know what to do now.

Regards, Michael

Rich R
VIP
VIP

FYI: last available software release for 5508 is 8.5.182.11 (link below)

A correction to your and the previous replies about WS-C3850-24XS:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-3850-series-switches/eos-eol-notice-c51-2438804.html
It's end of support from April 30, 2027.
For other 3850 SKUs which don't have specific end of support date stated in the EOS notice the Cisco general policy applies:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/eos-eol-policy.html
You'll also see the banner notice on the product page: 
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/switches/catalyst-3850-series-switches/series.html

End-of-Sale Date 30-APR-2022 Details
End-of-Support Date 30-APR-2027 Details

Michaelvo
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you for this update, Rich R

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card