Views
Helpful
Replies

Connection from Cisco 5508 WLC and Cisco 3750 POE Switch to AIR-CAP AP

AndrewB333
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

Let me preface this by saying that I am very much a newbie with setting up networks so any help at all on this would be incredibly appreciated. I've had no experience using WLCs and I want to use my 5508 to control the APs and the 3750 to power the APs.

• My first question is: Is it possible to use all copper on this setup? I have a couple SFPs that fit into the SFP distribution system ports.
  • How would I wire this all? Should the router first link to the WLC or the Switch, and which ports should they connect to? I plan to set up 3 VLANs but I really just want to get this up and running first. 
  • Do the WLC and my computer (and all other devices being used with this setup) need to be on the same subnet?

Again, I'm sure these are very beginner questions and I'm sorry to have to even ask, but I have not been able to find what I need online and I've had a lot of trouble trying to get the WLC to communicate with anything. Thank you for your time.

5 Replies 5

jagan.chowdam
Spotlight
Spotlight

Is it possible to use all copper on this setup? I have a couple SFPs that fit into the SFP distribution system ports. --> YES, you can use GLC-T SPFs on WLC.

How would I wire this all? --> Here is the link explaining basic connectivity and initial configuration.

https://networklessons.com/cisco/ccna-200-301/cisco-wireless-lan-controller-wlc-basic-configuration

Jagan Chowdam

/**Pls rate useful responses**/

marce1000
VIP
VIP

>... to use my 5508 
 - Perhaps the most important question is : should you time invest in this End of Life controller or better look into the new 9800 based controller platforms. Note that pursuing this solution will get you into compatibility issues with modern APs

>...My first question is: Is it possible to use all copper on this setup?
                   Yes 

>...Should the router first link to the WLC
                  Which router ?

>...Do the WLC and my computer (and all other devices being used with this setup) need to be on the same subnet?
                    No ,

For the rest look at https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/5500/install/guide/ctrl5500.html
                                              'but not advising for it'

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Rich R
VIP
VIP

>...Do the WLC and my computer (and all other devices being used with this setup) need to be on the same subnet?
                    No ,
In fact best practice is that they should not be on the same subnet.  AP management and client traffic should be separated on different vlans and subnets.

Also refer to https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-6/b_Cisco_Wireless_LAN_Controller_Configuration_Best_Practices.html and the Best Practices for 9800 below.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@AndrewB333 wrote:
How would I wire this all? Should the router first link to the WLC or the Switch, and which ports should they connect to? I plan to set up 3 VLANs but I really just want to get this up and running first. 

WLC to switch is a Trunk port. 

AP to switch is an access port.  

The WLC and AP must have the same VLAN.  

AP to switch is an access port.  
But if you do flexconnect local switching then the AP to switch is a trunk port because the local switching VLANs break out locally from the AP to the switch on the trunk port.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card