cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Difference between "SSID" & "Managed SSID" while classifying Rogue Access Points?

Muhammed Adnan
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Experts, 

I am not finding it straight forward explanation to obtain the differences between the "SSID" & "Managed SSID" while classifying Rogue Access Points.

Does "SSID" means the SSID in use by the Rogue AP?

&

Does "Managed SSID" means the SSID in use by the Rogue AP which is explicitly added in the controller?

Below are the definitions from 8.7 config guide.

ssid.PNGmANAGED SSID.PNG

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Managed SSID’s are the SSID names of what you have defined. Like a rogue AP using the same SSID name.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Managed SSID’s are the SSID names of what you have defined. Like a rogue AP using the same SSID name.
-Scott

Thanks Scott. 

Please correct me if I am wrong in my interpretation. 

"SSID" means the SSID that is in use by the Access point which is classified as Rogue. This SSID is unique from what are the SSID(s) defined on the Cisco WLC?

"Managed SSID" means the SSID  that is in use by the Access point which is classified as Rogue. This SSID is same as that of the SSID(s) defined on the Cisco WLC?

You are correct.
-Scott

Quick clarification question.

So I have a SSID "RH-Test-User" defined on my Controller (i.e. SSID know to the controller I assume).

When I try to create a managed SSID rule to detect and alert on some rouge trying to set up identical SSID as me I get and error that says  : Config for following conditions failed: SSID::RH-Test-User SSID exist in WLAN configuration. I am running the latest version 8.10.162.0. Please see attached pictures.

Any input ? Am I misinterpreting something ?

I don't have any issue as long as you have managed ssid.  You don't need to define each SSID.

rogue.jpg

-Scott

Maybe if I am defining the managed SSID rule I do not have to define any SSIDs in the rule and the rule will alert on all the SSIDs know to the Controller on all the WLANs ??

That is correct.  There is no need because the info is looked up in the wlan list.  If you have another wireless that is not tied to this controller, you can define friendly rogue list with the SSID's that are known to you.  You would define malicious rule if you had some SSID you want to alert on... thing like that.

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: